Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: UGLY quilt - can you relate?

UGLY quilt - can you relate?

I'm wondering if any of you have ever worked on a quilt that you thought was so ugly you were just tempted to throw it out so you could move on to something else. I pulled a UFO out of my box to work on. I had a picture of the quilt, but no instructions. The fabrics were mostly cut so I could figure it out. Using scraps of yellow, green, purple and pink. I put it up on the design wall to prepare to sew together the blocks, and WOW, this quilt is UGLY!!! It's actually kept me from working on anything else, I just look at it and think that maybe I should just jettison the whole thing, but then I think about the waste. So, I've got the blocks organized and ready to sew together. I'm thinking I'll just power through, turn off my brain, finish the quilt and donate it. Hopefully someone won't think it's as ugly as I do!!!

If this has happened to you, what did you do?

Blog Entries
    One day when fabric shopping a few years ago, hubby picked out a kit that looked pretty in the pkg, but when assembled, is really blah. Several fabrics in the same print or same scale, but in different colors. I assembled the center of the top back then and hated it. Pulled it out a year or so ago and added borders. It's still blah to me, so I put it away again. Someday when I have nothing better to do, I'll add some applique. Maybe then I won't mind it so much. It will be probably be gifted to someone who appreciates it more than I do.

Moral of the story - pay more attention when hubby picks something out for me. A variety of different scaled prints usually catches my interest more.

My ugly quilts are my UFO's. I have a variety of ziplock bags that contain templates, pieces I've cut out and the first and only block made before I decided I didn't want to look at that any more!
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Post a picture and see what others are saying. What is one person's ugly is another person's purdy. If the group agrees with you, then you'll know. lol

I've finished some projects YEARS after I started and found I no longer like the colors or patterns but I still finished them and found a happy new owner.

Oh yes, I've been there! A guild member offered a OBW class a couple of years ago, which is outside of my comfort zone to begin with - I lean towards traditional. Combined with a poor fabric choice, and I really hated it. After getting 3/4's of the way through, I put it aside. After almost a year, I pitched it. Having it hang around weighed me down in a way that most UFO's don't. Usually, if I set something aside, I'll eventually get back to it, but this just seemed like it was wasting space, there was nothing I could do to make myself like it. So I decided to cut my loss and get rid of it. Didn't bother me a bit.

I have made quilts I don't like at all, when using colors/designs that DD asked for. I literally had to force myself to work on it. If I'm not feeling the love, I don't want to touch it. Eventually, it got finished (my avatar) and she loved it so much it was worth it a hundred times over - but hopefully I won't have anything that I drag my feet over that much again. Better to either let it go, as I did in the first case, or if it's for somebody special, to bite the bullet and get it over with.

Yes many times! Once it finished though you still have bragging rights no matter how ugly, it'll be a finish! I'll show you mine if you show me yours!.....lOL

oh YES! I made my son an orange quilt (aHEM..orange is NOT my color!). But when it was done, it was so striking, I entered it in our quilt show! if I have a UFO that I just canNOT stand, I try to pass it off to a quilter who DOES like it. The weight lifted off of my shoulders is AWESOME..and one less UFO cluttering up my sewing space!

throw it away and move on

I "inherited" a quilt top from my SIL who is now suffering with alzheimers. It was ugly. She pieced it and I finished quilting it, just last month. I labeled it and gave it to my son in law. He loves it! So, beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

I have started a couple in classes that I didn't care for. I eventually packaged up the cut pieces with the blocks I'd made then took them to a quilt guild meeting and dropped them on the free table. They always went home with someone. I've also packaged up a kid quilt into a kit and gave it to the comfort quilt program. That way my UFO gets finished and does some good. If you don't have a guild, there are always senior centers or church groups that have quilt groups that would take it ... maybe even get a deduction for the donation.
    Last edited by Skyangel; 08-07-2013 at 02:57 PM.

My "ugly" quilt top is one I made taking classes at Joann fabrics for a "Stack N Whack" quilt. I bought fabric at the last minute and they didn't have much to choose from and I disliked what I bought as I began cutting it out. It's mostly greens and yellows. I finished it all in three days and its been waiting to be quilting for about six years! You can view it in my profile under "my quilts". Can't miss it. lol
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Power Poster
    I have only had one that I put the pieces into a big zip-lock bag with the pattern and sent it to the thrift store. Finish it up and donate it to a worthy cause if you can.

Blog Entries
    I have a few UFO's that qualify for the ugly to so so quilt. I will be using them for fmq, then donate them (when I get the time).
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

I have a OBW that I've decided I'm going to transform into a regular kaleidoscope quilt. It has some problems that I just can't seem to fix as it is now so I'm hoping adding the navy triangles between the hexes will take care of that. Plus I really prefer being able to see the different designs of the individual hexes. Will see how soon I actually do something with it. But it has been very freeing just coming to the decision to change it rather than continue fighting with it. So maybe you could change something on yours that would make you like it better.

Post a pic when finished I bet you it will not be ugly at all!!!

Oh yes, the first quilt I started was a UFO for over 5 years because it was SO UGLY. Finally I finished it - and maybe my tastes changed over the years, but I like it. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t174293.html

Oh yes! that would be the one block wonder I started. The fabric has purple and red roses on a black background and mint green leaves, no idea where the fabric came from but I know I didn't buy it. When I went to set up a layout the blocks were so busy they made me physicaly sick to my stomach. Ended up setting it with black triangles. Then I still hated it. Hung it out in small folded portions to try to get use to the look. Took over a year to get it on the frames and quilted. Used a purple fabric for the back, did I mention I don't like purple? Also used a purple varigated thread. As they were triangle blocks I free motioned a squiggle from the base to the tip. Added a goofy looking butterfly at one end of the quilt and called it 'Fluttery By'
    Still not sure about it,
    BUT its the one everyone who sees it loves! Go figure!
    Last edited by MisDixie; 08-07-2013 at 04:12 PM.

I actually "sold" one of my unfinished uglies on this board for $20. It saved it from the trash and the new owner was thrilled
    Fay

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

yel
    Blog Entries
    my ugly quilt was a hand me down ....small and could not find the same fabric to make it bigger ...and it was one of those fabrics that nothing went with it ...not even the solids ...when i got it quilted it was awesome ...a little small but not so ugly any more ...so it just lives on the back of the couch

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have one I'm working on. I did not come up with the pattern but they like it. They told me to keep it under budget. I told them to go get the material and purchase the pattern. Then I would work it. it's ugly but they like how it's turning out. They want it tied (Thank You Jesus). It's full size. I didn't know the colors were picked by their son who has cancer. he's donating it for a fundraiser for the cancer society. So am I! it's much prettier than I realized!

Quote Originally Posted by Skyangel View Post
    I have started a couple in classes that I didn't care for. I eventually packaged up the cut pieces with the blocks I'd made then took them to a quilt guild meeting and dropped them on the free table. They always went home with someone. I've also packaged up a kid quilt into a kit and gave it to the comfort quilt program. That way my UFO gets finished and does some good. If you don't have a guild, there are always senior centers or church groups that have quilt groups that would take it ... maybe even get a deduction for the donation.
    This is what I do. I feel so much better with the unloved blocks gone, and the quilts get shown at Show and Tell and passed on to charities. (I have yet to like one of the quilts when I saw them finished, but I always like knowing they might be pleasing someone somewhere.)

Dina

Blog Entries
    Not me. All my quilts are gorgeous. JUST KIDDING!
    AudreyB
    Those who sleep under quilts are covered with love.

Yep, I did one last month. The blocks are sitting on my cutting table
    *Rachel*

Blog Entries
    I have a box with some disappearing 9 patch blocks I was making out of some super cheap 4" squares I bought. I have a lot of them made but they are so disappointing that I don't want to do anything with them. Maybe someday. I have seen a lot of quilts that don't do anything for me and when I do I admire the time and dedication someone put into the quilt instead of enjoy what I think is beautiful. I have seen a lot I wouldn't attempt just because I think they are - undesirable?

I think most of us have been where you are.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast