Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Uh oh! First wholecloth and used variegated thread...are the quilt police on the way??!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/uh-oh-first-wholecloth-used-variegated-thread-quilt-police-way-t58021.html)

foxxigrani 08-07-2010 05:54 AM

Does anyone know about the wool batting tho, I am thinking I would like to use the wool because of the warmth, but if it is to be pre washed or not, it is a good thing to know. Thanks guys in advance.

Rita

paintmejudy 08-07-2010 06:19 AM

If you like wool batting, you are simply going to love silk or babmoo -- both are so softr and pliable and wonderful to work with, either by hand or machine.

paintmejudy 08-07-2010 06:21 AM

And I forgot - both have the same warmth as wool.

foxxigrani 08-07-2010 06:31 AM

I have always wanted to try bamboo, will have to get me some, but I am so not a quilter or sewer I have been waiting to use anything expensive until I learn how to quilt better. I swear I get worse instead of better.

Rita

tooMuchFabric 08-07-2010 06:53 AM

Look at enough pictures of prize-winning quilts in shows, and you will see that some of the most beautiful are the ones that the quilter, usually the longarmer nowadays, used varigated thread on,
such that the open areas of the quilting often out-do the areas of the piecing.

Varigated thread can be done in ways to yield real art.

And even if it is plain and simple quilting on the quilt, it always adds a nice converstional effect.

merridancer 08-07-2010 06:57 AM

If you would like a sample of bamboo or wool batting, send me an email at [email protected] with your address and the sample type that you would like.

brwnntwn 08-07-2010 07:28 AM

I want one!!!! Where did you get it? also- love the varigated thread idea!

klgreene 08-07-2010 08:02 AM

I started with all natural cloth and natural thread at a quilt class, made it into a pillow and used it to death. Litterly it died a couple months ago. But they are now doing all kinds of colors, solid, varigated. Just depends on your choice of pattern and what YOU like.

gail-r 08-07-2010 08:04 AM

Judy, you are not doing anything wrong. Even though I teased you and said that I would have to take your quilt for evidence, the fact of the matter is; many, many of the award winning and recognized wholecloth quilters use colored threads on their quilts. Especially if they are also doing some trapunto in it. Using a different colored thread shows more and can draw the eye to a certain section. The tradition of wholecloth dates back to a time before spooled treads were available. I could be wrong here but it seems to me like I was told many many (I'm old) years ago that the reason the first wholecloth quilts were made with the same color of tread is because the quilters would take peices of tread from the fabric to use for the quilting tread.

You go girl....

Hugs, Gail

rhueluna 08-07-2010 08:56 AM

I think that the variegated thread would look good on any quilt. I would sure help to blend in with the colors of the pieces. I may just have to try that next time. As long as its strong enough.