Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Uh-oh...got a problem... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/uh-oh-got-problem-t78762.html)

Kas 11-27-2010 10:20 PM

My husband was reading the first two posts over my shoulder. His comment? "My wife is addicted to both!" LOL

drgranny 11-27-2010 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by ginnie6
I have machine lust. There I said it. I don't need a new machine. Really i don't. I have several older ones now that aren't being used to their potential. And I mean there's only 1 of me and I only have a limited amount of time to sew. So why am I looking at machines online and drooling over them? Why is a cheap Brother machine at WM making my heart flutter? My old White does a perfectly good job...she even does fmq if the user would get better at it! And she's a pretty green color too. Is there a thing as machine addiction like there is fabric addiction?

yes!

stancilgirls 11-28-2010 05:14 AM

I want a featherweight really, really bad. Do I need it? No not really. But I remember my mother sewing on one when I was a child. Plus, I'm a very simple sewer. Can't seem to get into all the fancy stuff. I like to piece on a very simple machine. My mom has an Elna Quilter and I do some FMQ on it, but I never use the fancy stuff. Trying to save my change to buy a featherweight.

deedum 11-28-2010 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by ginnie6
I have machine lust. There I said it. I don't need a new machine. Really i don't. I have several older ones now that aren't being used to their potential. And I mean there's only 1 of me and I only have a limited amount of time to sew. So why am I looking at machines online and drooling over them? Why is a cheap Brother machine at WM making my heart flutter? My old White does a perfectly good job...she even does fmq if the user would get better at it! And she's a pretty green color too. Is there a thing as machine addiction like there is fabric addiction?

Gee I have it, just didn't know there was a name for it! YOu hit it on the head for me! I have been the last two weeks looking at FW and 301's on ebay & craigslist! I already have two janomes that I enjoy! I have a Singer 99 and a 15 that are tanks. I haven't even looked at the 99 since I brought it home hardly and yet I have my dh convinced I could use another!!!! Did I mention I have two sergers also? I sold my treadle years ago when we moved, now I think I need to buy another! Like you, I have very little time for this addiction, and yet I still have SMAD! :lol:

Tinabodina 11-28-2010 05:44 AM

I have a total of 10 machines. I went through the same thing. I am a collector. :roll:

nhweaver 11-28-2010 12:09 PM

Hi Neighbor, someday we will have to meet. do you go to the serendipity qs in dagsboro?

ktmo815 11-28-2010 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by crashnquilt
Personally I think it must be something in our blood! I average about 3 years between machine purchases. For some reason, completely unknown to me, I can come up with some excuse to purchase a new machine of some type i.e. more powerful machine motor, more stitches, more features, etc. Since my sister is the same way, I honestly believe it is in our blood.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

I love your rationale :D

Boscobd 11-28-2010 09:00 PM

Hmm - not so much machine lust, but the desire to buy another machine exactly like the one I currently have and really like. I have this thought that I better have a spare stowed away because someday my current machine will give out and I won't be able to find another that I like as much. Kind of like buying several of the same shirt or pants because they'll never make anything like those again in my lifetime! Argh - why do I have anxiety attacks over stuff like this??!!

Dee 11-28-2010 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Boscobd
Hmm - not so much machine lust, but the desire to buy another machine exactly like the one I currently have and really like. I have this thought that I better have a spare stowed away because someday my current machine will give out and I won't be able to find another that I like as much. Kind of like buying several of the same shirt or pants because they'll never make anything like those again in my lifetime! Argh - why do I have anxiety attacks over stuff like this??!!

You are not alone. I keep thinking I need another brother like I have, because if this one wears out, I would have an anxiety attack. :mrgreen:

BRenea 11-29-2010 05:25 AM

I have three machines, each a justified purchase: :wink:
1. Husqvarna Viking 500 computerized sewing machine, my first "fancy" sewing machine, bought a couple of years after I got married. I needed it to decorate our new home, plus at that time I was still sewing clothes and had just discovered quilting.
2. Husqvarna Viking Mega Quilter for my new machine quilting frame. Do I need to say more?
3. Bernina Artista 730E, my dream machine! Love to machine embroider, and I can sew on #1 while #3 is embroidering!

Before I got the Bernina I did have an inexpensive embroidery machine, but I passed it on to a friend that really wanted it.