Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Unexpected Results Using Warm and Natural batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/unexpected-results-using-warm-natural-batting-t262715.html)

qltrwannab 03-17-2015 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 7129761)
W&N definitely has a right side up and if you load it upside down in a longarm this is exactly what happens. I remember by the phrase "bump is up"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]513861[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the great info! I will definitely remember this next time I quilt.. I never knew there was a right and wrong side to W&N batting..

Annaquilts 03-17-2015 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 7129761)
W&N definitely has a right side up and if you load it upside down in a longarm this is exactly what happens. I remember by the phrase "bump is up"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]513861[/ATTACH]

Interestingly I was told at Quilt in a Day to put the side with the seeds to the wrong side of the backing fabric. The reason- so the seeds and stems would not show or spill minute amounts of vegetable oils still in the seeds. I always make sure to put the seed side down when loading the long arm and have done hundreds of quilt on a Janome 650, larger throat domestic sewing machine and also on a long arm Innova 26 inch throat opening and have never had any problems related to the Warm and Natural batting having the seed side down. I also did not see anything about it on the packaging , good side bad side, like another poster mentioned. I might just need to try it either way to see if it makes a difference for my machine.

I do think it is very possible it was bad batting. I had Hobbs 80/20 straight out of the bag, also from Joanns. It shredded and was nothing like the Hobbs 80/20 I had or had used before. I contacted the person I was quilting for and she requested for me to go ahead and use it. I quilted it very close and tight. Her adult son has used it for over 2 years and they washed it before he used it. When receiving long arm training out of state I was told to always check bolts of batting as they come in because they had a problem before with a bolt of Hobbs 80/20 that shredded. Hmmm... Interesting.

cmilton 03-17-2015 12:11 PM

I have never had a problem, but I never knew this. Thanks feline fanatic.

feline fanatic 03-17-2015 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts (Post 7131010)
Interestingly I was told at Quilt in a Day to put the side with the seeds to the wrong side of the backing fabric. The reason- so the seeds and stems would not show or spill minute amounts of vegetable oils still in the seeds. I always make sure to put the seed side down when loading the long arm and have done hundreds of quilt on a Janome 650, larger throat domestic sewing machine and also on a long arm Innova 26 inch throat opening and have never had any problems related to the Warm and Natural batting having the seed side down. I also did not see anything about it on the packaging , good side bad side, like another poster mentioned. I might just need to try it either way to see if it makes a difference for my machine.

I do think it is very possible it was bad batting. I had Hobbs 80/20 straight out of the bag, also from Joanns. It shredded and was nothing like the Hobbs 80/20 I had or had used before. I contacted the person I was quilting for and she requested for me to go ahead and use it. I quilted it very close and tight. Her adult son has used it for over 2 years and they washed it before he used it. When receiving long arm training out of state I was told to always check bolts of batting as they come in because they had a problem before with a bolt of Hobbs 80/20 that shredded. Hmmm... Interesting.

Here is an FAQ link from APQS that talks about it. I quilt with an Innova and it has definitely happened to me with a W&N batting. I stopped, ripped, flipped the batting and all was well, no more back pokies. The below link confirms what I thought about needle size of longarms being part of the problem and offers more clear reasons as to why this happens.

http://www.apqs.com/quilt-back

gale 03-17-2015 01:05 PM

I never knew it mattered what side was up. I use warm and natural almost exclusively so I'll be sure to remember "bump is up" from now on.

SueSew 03-17-2015 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts http://www.quiltingboard.com/images/...post-right.png Interestingly I was told at Quilt in a Day to put the side with the seeds to the wrong side of the backing fabric. The reason- so the seeds and stems would not show or spill minute amounts of vegetable oils still in the seeds. I always make sure to put the seed side down when loading the long arm
END QUOTE
I must be denser than their batting because it seems to me that the needle and thread go into the quilt and through the quilt sandwich and then they come back up. What goes down comes back up and then goes back down and so on. Why would stuff beard on the back but not the front?

And why would you want seeds and oil seeping through on the back of the quilt? That sounds not much better than the front?

It's a shame the professional quilter didn't know enough to stop, and great that you found people to undo the damage without damaging the quilt.

Wow, what a lesson in longarming!

Annaquilts 03-17-2015 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 7131027)
Here is an FAQ link from APQS that talks about it. I quilt with an Innova and it has definitely happened to me with a W&N batting. I stopped, ripped, flipped the batting and all was well, no more back pokies. The below link confirms what I thought about needle size of longarms being part of the problem and offers more clear reasons as to why this happens.

http://www.apqs.com/quilt-back

T

Thanks for posting Feline fanatic. Just because it has not happened before doesn't mean it might never. I better use preventative measures and now make sure the seed side goes up to the wrong side of the top.

Annaquilts 03-17-2015 02:10 PM

SueSew I think QIAD employee was not commenting any on the quilting but on the possible showing of the seeds and possible oil from the seeds. I would prefer it to be in the back over the front. I have seen seeds when I put white material on the seed side and will use White and Natural. I have never noticed oil from the seeds. Yes, indeed I am not sure why the quilter kept going if there was a concern. When I had problems with batting provided I contacted the client before starting.

nativetexan 03-17-2015 02:48 PM

Boy, you went to a well managed JoAnn's. Pure luck. But glad they helped you out.

charlottequilts 03-17-2015 03:33 PM

My reading of the APQS posted by Felinefanatic is that "bump is up" is wrong. According to Quilter's Dream and APQS, needlepunched batting should be set so that you are quilting from the same direction as the needle-punching. Which would have the holes against your quilt top and the bumps against the batting. It makes logical sense if you think about it.

hugs,
Charlotte