Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Unloved quilts.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/unloved-quilts-t319392.html)

toverly 11-24-2022 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by ToBoldlyQuilt (Post 8577169)
I'm trying to work out what you're referring to there. Is this the, "Ooh, could you make a quilt for my sisters boyfriend?" sort of thing?

Exactly. I was once asked to make three quilts for someone's mother, aunt, and grandmother. I have never met them. The attitude was since I gave them away. Although, I have given a quilt to a "serious" boyfriend of my niece. It just all depends.

ToBoldlyQuilt 11-24-2022 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by toverly (Post 8577193)
Exactly. I was once asked to make three quilts for someone's mother, aunt, and grandmother. I have never met them. The attitude was since I gave them away. Although, I have given a quilt to a "serious" boyfriend of my niece. It just all depends.

I've made a few quilts for people I don't know well. One is the sister of a friend, whom I've met a few times, nice woman. She was pregnant and I can never resist making a baby quilt, they're so fun. And I've just made a super warm lap quilt for a friend I've known for years, but not particularly well, as she's having a hard time staying warm this winter. I had enormous fun making both quilts, and as ever, learned from the design process. The quilts are still very much appreciated, and it made us get to know each other a bit better.

I think one person said her friends had been asking about the baby quilt I made her, did I make them on commission, and I laughed and said nope. She got the quick explanation of how labour intensive these things are. As the saying goes, if I love you, I'll make a quilt for free, and if I don't love you, you couldn't possibly pay me enough. (I hand sew, and materials costs in the UK are high.)

ptquilts 11-24-2022 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by toverly (Post 8577193)

Some people will just take and take. When I was making masks, an acquaintance asked me for 5 to wear to work. I made them for her. Then she asked for 10 for her son to wear to work, and could I use bandana fabric? I told her he could just wear bandanas. (they both had very good jobs).

Genden 11-25-2022 07:46 PM

I decided if any of my children or grandchildren admired one of my quilts, I would give it to them on the spot. I have a stack of lovingly crafted quilts. I am 85 and no takers yet.

newbee3 11-26-2022 10:55 AM

sorry to hear that you have no takers yet I am getting along in years my children have quite a few of my quilts already but I love making them so still doing it.

Fizzle 11-27-2022 07:02 AM

I was making a pattern i wanted to try and it was out of Halloween fabrics. My daughter loved it as well as my granddaughter so i finished it up and gave to her! She had it out for the holiday time and then put it away and pulled out the Christmas one i made her last year. She is my biggest fan!