Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Unusual Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/unusual-question-t275474.html)

Sailorwoman 02-06-2016 01:26 PM

Unusual Question

Hi, Everyone. I am currently "unquilting" a quilt that has been bound, bordered and quilted. I want to change the size and in order to do so, I need to undo much of what has been done. My problem is that I also have to "unsandwich" the quilt. I used spay-on basting and I'm not sure if the wool batting will come apart from the top and backing. I don't mind trying but I was wondering if anyone else out there has done this and so might have some hints for me. Thank you for any and all suggestions.

Mrs. SewNSew 02-06-2016 01:36 PM

I used spray basting on my first quilt but the back looked a little wrinkly to me and I wasn't sure if it was supposed to look like that so I peeled it apart. It had only been a couple days since I put it together so I don't know if it makes any difference or not. Mine was still a little sticky so when I re-did the sandwich it still stuck together. I also used pins cuz that's just me. If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing!

ckcowl 02-06-2016 01:47 PM

The basting spray should let loose easily, you can always give it a light spritz with water ( basting spray washes away) to help if needed.

Tothill 02-06-2016 02:35 PM

Do you need to completely undo it? Are you planning to add more blocks or borders to your quilt?

Several people here have added to the dimensions of an already made quilt, using quilt as you do techniques.

Was the finished quilt washed? If yet, then most the spray basting should have washed out of it.

Jeanne S 02-06-2016 03:03 PM

Most basting sprays are temporary, and I have never had a problem separating the layers after spraying to reposition them.

quiltingcandy 02-06-2016 03:06 PM

The only spray I had any problem with was Sullivan Spray adhesive, it didn't let go even after being washed. So it would depend on what brand you used.

Sailorwoman 02-06-2016 03:40 PM

It is an asymmetrical quilt that I want to make rectangular. The bottom part of the quilt needs to be widened but I can take blocks from the top to "transplant" them to the bottom. The fabric has been washed but the quilt hasn't - which leads me to another question. Should I wash before or after I remove the blocks? I think before might be easier, but I'm not sure.

Shelbie 02-06-2016 04:17 PM

Wouldn't it be easier to just make a new quilt? I successfully lengthened my SIL's quilt by removing the binding at the bottom and adding a couple of rows by Quilt as You Go and then rebound the bottom and new rows. I can't imagine doing that to yours.

Kitsie 02-06-2016 05:26 PM

Interesting! On the other hand I only use Sullivan's and have never had a problem "unsitcking" it!

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy (Post 7458181)
The only spray I had any problem with was Sullivan Spray adhesive, it didn't let go even after being washed. So it would depend on what brand you used.

Kwiltr 02-06-2016 09:34 PM

The wool batting I used in one of my quilts with 505 spray stuck like crazy when I tried to separate it and remove it from the sandwich. I was attempting a double batting, one cotton, one wool and found it too hard to handle so decided to take it out. I had to use a wet comb to remove it from the cotton quilt top and it essentially destroyed the batting. I should have sprayed it with water to try to deactivate the spray baste in hind sight, but never thought of that :-(.