Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Unusual quilt display (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/unusual-quilt-display-t209443.html)

Iamquilter 12-28-2012 06:15 AM

Anytime someone in this area dies and was a quilter there are quilts displayed at the reviewal. A great tribute .

Jingle 12-28-2012 06:15 AM

I have heard of this being done before and think it is a wonderful idea. So sorry for your loss.

tulip43 12-28-2012 06:28 AM

Had 2 quilter friends pass this year and at both wakes the families had a beautiful display of their quilts. This was so nice for them as I am sure they would have wanted this

QuiltE 12-28-2012 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by KarenR (Post 5744913)
A great tribute to her!!

I wonder if more quilters would have this if they had a say in how their funeral went.

Just let your wishes be known ..... starting now!

AnnT 12-29-2012 04:37 AM

What sweet memories. Something to hold tight to when missing them gets rough.

Edie 12-29-2012 04:47 AM

I have told my family that when I pass this mortal coil, I want my memory quilt (designed by me , 35 blocks representing a part of my life) on my casket, no flowers are even necessary. I then want my casket flanked by the quilts I got from my mother and my grandmother - the three generations of quilters.

Yes, QuiltE, I have been doing just that- I think some people think it is maudlin, but I think it is so very warm and comforting. Edie

kathbug 12-29-2012 04:52 AM

I think that was lovely! Whata way to show and share the love back to her by displaying the love she gave to them In her quilts.!

QuiltE 12-29-2012 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Edie (Post 5746889)
I have told my family that when I pass this mortal coil, I want my memory quilt (designed by me , 35 blocks representing a part of my life) on my casket, no flowers are even necessary. I then want my casket flanked by the quilts I got from my mother and my grandmother - the three generations of quilters.

Yes, QuiltE, I have been doing just that- I think some people think it is maudlin, but I think it is so very warm and comforting. Edie

I think it's a perfect thing to do.
And wonderful that you are including your Mother's and Grandmother's work too!!

Perhaps be sure that all are well labelled, so that when the time comes, your family have no questions as to which quilts are to be used, as well as knowing any stories that go with them.

anniesews 12-29-2012 05:25 AM

We saw this at a funeral for a dear lady. It was a wonderful tribute.

Mom3 12-29-2012 05:34 AM

When my Mom died I had to call all the family & friends. Along with that call I asked them to bring the quilts she had made for them to Mom's service. We had quilts traveling in cars and planes. :)

The funeral director said he'd never seen such a colorful funeral.

Mom was buried with pieces of her unfinished GFG and her favorite (very well used) pin cushion.

All of her daughters received a piece of Mom's hand pieced, unfinished GFG.

Mom would have been pleased.