Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Unusual quilt display (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/unusual-quilt-display-t209443.html)

lillybeck 12-29-2012 05:36 AM

that was so wonderful to read. Her family really appreciated her

Anniemarie 12-29-2012 06:01 AM

Well, those posts brought tears to my eyes!

Daylesewblessed 12-29-2012 06:10 AM

A quilt draped on the casket is not new to me, but a display is even better. Funerals are a time for people to share with each other their stories of love from the deceased. Quilts would be a wonderful aid in starting conversations that lead to the sharing of memories.

Thank you, everyone, for this thread.

giquilt 12-29-2012 06:15 AM

What a great tribute to your lovely friend. Her family really "got" her. So sorry for the loss.

carolynjo 12-29-2012 06:18 AM

Our quilt guild makes comfort quilts for folks who have terminal illnesses and visitors sign the quilt. A friend of mine passed away a couple of years ago and her children had that quilt (54 x 60") draped over her casket. She loved that quilt! Her doctors had signed it and her nurses as well. The quilt was given to the oldest daughter who draped it across the back of her sofa. In a short time, sadly, it was needed again. Now it is again draped across the back of the sofa. The local hospice group decided that they would help get a quilt-making group started in the local community--so it's still going.

gabeway 12-29-2012 06:26 AM

A quilter recognized for her love by the family she blessed!

Carol Ann 12-29-2012 06:27 AM

A lot of love was shown by her nineteen grandchildren, bringing their beautiful quilts to share with others.

Evelyn 12-29-2012 06:36 AM

When a member of our guild became seriously ill, we all joined in to make a quilt to comfort her throughout her treatments.
When she passed and we paid our respects at the funeral home- not only was the quilt on her coffin but many of the quilts she made for family were displayed on the sides of the room and a huge floral piece was created in yellow and white flowers-ShooFly pattern. A month or so later her DH came to a meeting and presented each of us with a little bundle from her stash of fabrics.

I once saw a bumper sticker- Quilters never die- they just go to pieces. She was a wonderful person!

21quilter 12-29-2012 06:36 AM

My dh's grandmother passed away last year and the family brought the paintings that she had made for each family member. It was a wonderful tribute to a wonderful lady.

I enjoy when the talents of the person are shared with the world. I think it celebrates the person's life!

And saying that, I hope my family will do the same for me when it's my time. I'm certain that they would agree that quilting has been a HUGE part and love of my life! :)

New knee 12-29-2012 06:39 AM

Here in my town among quilters, it is very common to use a quilt over the casket. I attended a memorial service recently where the person had been creamated, and in an anteroom by hallway into the church, one of the lady's quilts was draped over a table.