Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Update on garage sewing room decision... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/update-garage-sewing-room-decision-t201188.html)

MarthaT 09-24-2012 05:15 AM

For many years my sewing room was a closet in our bedroom. Since in our previous home my sewing room was the dining room table, I thought it was great to at least have doors to close over my mess at the end of the day. Our bedroom had been added on to before we purchased it and now had a walk-in closet which we used for our clothes and storage, so the original bedroom closet with bi-fold doors, became my sewing closet. I put a small desk in it for my machine and storage in the drawers. A clamp on lamp gave good lighting. There was lots of storage on the overhead shelf. I could hang things on the closet rod, even fabric folded over a hanger. In the space at one end of the desk was room to slide in my ironing board. At the other end of the desk I could store things like quilt batts. On the wall behind the desk I could pin up guide sheets, clippings of ideas, etc. I didn't worry about holes in the wall because, after all it was a closet! While it was not as ideal as having a full-blown sewing room, it was a great alternative. Look around your home for a corner of a room, or a closet that can accommodate a desk. You may be surprised what you can tuck into a small space.
Jcrow, I'm so sorry about your children. My mother has, in her sewing room, a futon on a frame that allows it to turn into a double bed and she makes into a bed when we are there. Would your children like to sleep in a bed like that and be in your home, rather than in a motel? There are 6 kids in my family and when we all come home with our families, we max out my parent's house (3 bdrms, 2 bath, sewing rm, even the screened porch & laundry room!), camper, and another camper that they sometimes borrow. But we'd rather have a big slumber party there and share the bathrooms, floors, etc. than be in motels. Are they upset at you taking their room or at not being able to wake up at Mom's house? Don't know what we are going to do as a number of grandchildren are getting married and having kids. I think we are finally outgrowing the place! (Maybe start using the attic! LOL!)

ragquilter 09-24-2012 05:32 AM

In our last house, I took over the living room. No one really ever used it and I left a couple of chairs and a TV. Everyone complained but after a few weeks they realized no one used the living room. I sewed for years at the kitchen table and it is hard. In this house I have a sewing room and a storage room but I don't sew as much as I did before because I hate being off away from everyone. (I know weird.)

damaquilts 09-24-2012 06:02 AM

I spent many years sewing at the table. I even ran a small business , making clothes for others, that way. Now days I have no idea how I did it. Of course I didn't have a quilt stash, or all the tools I have now. I only bought for the clothing or household projects I was working on .. I now have a bedroom for my sewing room in my brothers house but believe me, If this were my house the dining room would be used as one. Or the room over the garage. Actually if I could have my own place the whole house would end up being part of my quilting room . LOL

rj.neihart 09-24-2012 06:05 AM

In time, you will have your sewing room. I remember my mother sewing in the hallway - wide open space - and we'd walk by her and talk. She had no other place to sew. She wasn't in the way of walking. I usually knew where she was at any given time of the day (once home from school). We'd pass her while walking to our bedrooms. Most of all, I'll never forget the light humming sounds of her Singer machine - dad even made her a special cabinet - never did she leave a mess on the floor. Once she started a project, she stuck with it until it was completed. Memories worth keeping.

Ellen 09-24-2012 06:24 AM

Remember the show..."The Waltons"? It's on everyday now at 3 eastern (Hallmark). Olivia has her sewing machine on the stair landing....go figure! I use my dining room table until I can figure out how to find room in the garage for a conversion. It's a room now but mostly for storage. I know...downsize but that's easier said than done.

knitsew 09-24-2012 06:28 AM

I used to have to sew in the kitchen - many years, then got a bedroom and now its all over the house because everyone is gone. Be careful what you wish for.

maviskw 09-24-2012 06:31 AM

To damaquilts: My whole house IS my sewing room. I have a sewing room, which has a roll-away bed for Bruce when he comes. All the other kids live close enough they don't need to stay overnight. I have a room upstairs that really belongs to the upstairs apartment, but my darling step-son-in-law put up a ship's ladder (very steep) and a trap door so Bruce's children can sleep there. They call it Grandma's attic. That room is the only room in the house that isn't used for sewing. It just has all the quilts that are ready to give away, and some batting in that closet.
But every other room is my sewing room. In the winter, I put the sewing machine on the dinning table in the living room. Then I can sew and listen to TV also, when my husband has something on in which I am interested. When I make scrap quilts, I spread all the scraps out on the table (I mean scraps that are down to less than an inch and strips that are not straight and such. That table just stays a mess until that quilt is finished or it will get cleaned up if we're having a party or such.
My tall table is in the kitchen, where I do a lot of cutting. (It's the right height.) My old Singer is in the kitchen on the cabinet (desk) built for it in 1956. I'm looking over it right now, as my computer is behind it, raised up a little. My big ironing board is in the laundry room. My bed is used as a design board.
Sooo, what's in sewing room? STASH ! ! ! LOL Lots of projects ready to go, and lots of kits of things started. My new Bernina goes from the sewing room to the living room at a moments notice.

BellaBoo 09-24-2012 06:42 AM

DH and I shared a bedroom so my kids could too. I moved my two girls in one room and took the other for my sewing room. DH had a workshop behind the house so he understood I needed my own room for quilting. Our next house, I took over the den, the kids didn't like that idea either. The house now, I have a two room studio.

Friday1961 09-24-2012 07:12 AM

I reluctantly took one bedroom for my "office" -- computer, two bookcases, two filing cabinets (I "do" genealogy, too) and two desks. Since I've begun quilting some of the kids have suggested I turn the 3rd bedroom into a sewing room, but I just can't do it. It's the only other bed in the house and when the grandkids stay overnight I want them to have a room. Actually, I want the room so they WILL feel free to stay overnight. I bought a machine and began making my own clothes at age 19 --a long time ago--and I've never had a dedicated sewing space. My machine (in a cabinet, have never owned a portable) has always been in a corner of my bedroom, and fabric, supplies, tools, notions, etc. are stored in a hall closet. I wish I had another room I could devote solely to sewing but I'm not willing to take my only guest room to do it.

Chasing Hawk 09-24-2012 08:09 AM

This is an idea for those who are sewing spaced challenged in their house.

I wish I had this piece, its gorgeous.

http://bend.craigslist.org/fuo/3264785192.html