Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Update on garage sewing room decision... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/update-garage-sewing-room-decision-t201188.html)

BellaBoo 09-25-2012 05:54 AM

I have four roll a way beds and the grands roll them where ever they want to sleep. On the porch is their favorite place. The roll a way beds are something they look forward to. Who knew? Anyway no extra bedroom is needed for them. The beds roll in the utility room for storage. http://www.meijer.com/s/luxor-foldin...ess/_/R-155313

BellaBoo 09-25-2012 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by SandyQuilter (Post 5539879)
The day that my second son left for college, I was tearing the wallpaper off as he backed out of the driveway. Husband agreed that it would be tacky to put the paint gallons in the hallway before he left! My philosophy was that if you move out, you loose the rights to the room. I have five kids and it took some time to put that into practice.
SandyQuilter

I'm that kind of mom too! It is my children's home but my and DH's house. The kids never got a say so in house decisions because they are children as long as they live under my roof.

lillybeck 09-25-2012 06:40 AM

After many years with kids coming and going(they always bring back more than they leave with) I thought I was doing great with my sewing room of 14 by 20. I even had a bed in there for guests. I do not have a long arm but my sewing table and cutting table fit nicely. Well I get it arranged the way I want it and lo and behold our youngest son moves home. He has been here almost a year now and I have been reduced to enough of the room for my shelf and sewing table.
Soo. Which would I rather have here, my kid or my sewing room. The kid will win every time.

quiltingfan 09-25-2012 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by gmacindy (Post 5532904)
Talk about space challenge............I live in a 31 ft 5th wheel........ ihave made a queen quilt, double and twins plus many table runners in a vey small sewing area - approx 36 inches. I use space bags to compress my fabric,,(I do have an abundance of fabric, enuf for 4 twin quitls to be completed for xmas and 4 queens after they are finished. I do have to clean up the area when finished, so there is no mess. Where ther is a will there IS a way!!!!

This is what I will be facing when my husband retires from the military. We already have the 5th wheel.

Daylesewblessed 09-25-2012 07:55 AM

I grew up on a farm in a small house with 3 siblings. Mom and Dad's bedroom was small, and while there was at least one crib in there, Mom had her sewing machine cabinet in the kitchen. When the children all moved upstairs, she moved the sewing machine into the little space along side of her bed. It was usually covered with mending.

Some of my fondest memories are of lying on the bed talking to Mom's back (you say a lot more when you don't have to make eye contact) while she was sewing.

To this day I can't figure out where she kept all of the fabric! When they retired and moved to town, there were 40 years of Dad's farm records that came out of her closet.

Dayle

Jecreed 09-26-2012 12:44 PM

I have a tandem garage. I have made the section closest to the condo my sewing/office area. It's perfect. I have a couple of heaters and I'm insulated on both sides so it never gets too cold (even in Denver) to sew in the winter, I love my space. Good luck to you on finding a place to quilt.

BellaBoo 09-26-2012 03:32 PM

When my DD wanted to come home for the third time to get caught up on her bills, DH and I paid her rent for the summer until she started a teaching job. It was worth it, she had four rescue cats. LOL So I have to say my sewing room won over the kid that time.

Abi's Nina 10-13-2012 11:51 AM

Just this year I converted our two car garage into my sewing room. I still have the hot water heater and washer & dryer out there, but that doesn't bother me. We just removed everything that wasn't related to my sewing into the other garage, painted the floor and put in a table for my sewing machines, and a high top cutting table from Joann's. In front of the garage doors, I have those heavy duty plastic shelving units with my tubs filled with stash and then I ran a PVC pipe from end to end, and hung stripped sheets to cover the shelving units. On the other wall I have those white cabinets from Target, full of stuff stacked on top of each other. The room really looks great. Don't go into the expense of converting the doors to windows, because than your taxes could go up, and if you ever did sell your home, it's back to a garage. Now I just close the door and no one sees my mess. :)