Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Upset enough to cry... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/upset-enough-cry-t66259.html)

seazteddy 09-22-2010 06:35 PM

I know how you feel, I was in the same situation with our store. They wouldn't give me my money back on a machine that was defective. They agreed that it was bad and wanted to give me another one. LOL

Tink's Mom 09-22-2010 06:39 PM

Maybe you can get a lifetime supply of needles, scissors, rotary blades, etc...Contact the BBB.

fabric_fancy 09-22-2010 06:48 PM

that is so short sighted of them. you'll end up using the script and then never shopping there again.

Mattee 09-22-2010 07:38 PM

Is it a Bernina policy? My dealer has a sign that says, approximately, "no returns or exchanges on machines or accessories." I'm not saying it's right, just wondering if the machine company has something to do with it.

GypsyRse1 09-22-2010 08:26 PM

No, the foot was not special ordered, it is something they keep in stock. This is the same dealer where I bought both this machine and my serger 10 years ago and I just had my machine serviced a month ago. I may end up having to buy alot of extra feet and/or bobbins to use up that $150. Thank you all for commiserating with me. I will still check with the BBB about their shady business practices.

mzsooz 09-22-2010 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Oh, and if it makes you feel any better, I purchased a walking foot for my Bernina (and it was close to $150 even years ago), used it for only a few days, and then accidentally caught a pin on it that I didn't see (this was in the days when I pinned my quilts instead of spray basting). It ruined the spring in the foot. My dh said he could repair it if he could get a replacement spring, but the dealership said it was impossible to order the part. I finally bought another walking foot to replace the broken one, but I waited about a year and purchased it from a different place. (The original was one that did go out of business.)

Hmmmm....Maybe you should hang on to that foot if they break so easily? The money is already spent so maybe it would be good to have a back up.

Bobby's Girl 09-22-2010 09:10 PM

The suggestions to contact the Better Business Bureau is good advice. Another possibility is to contact your state's Attorney General's office. I live in Missouri and contacted the AG about a problem I had with Olan Mills, a photography business. A letter from the AG brought out some honesty in Olan Mills very quickly. (The Attorney General's office investigates fraudulent business practices. On one of the People's Court type programs, a judge stated that under most circumstances, it's illegal for a business to refuse to give a refund to a customer.)

BellaBoo 09-22-2010 09:37 PM

A few years ago a guild member died unexpectedly and she had just bought a brand new Bernina. It was still in the box. Her husband took the machine back to the dealer and the dealer would not give a refund. Said it was against policy. The husband had no use for a machine store credit. I will buy a machine from Walmart once a year before I'd ever buy anything from that Bernina dealer. Everyone in guild stopped shopping there too. The dealership and combined quilt store is not doing good in sales. He should have given the money back to the guild member. Who does he think shops at his store?

Sadiemae 09-22-2010 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
A few years ago a guild member died unexpectedly and she had just bought a brand new Bernina. It was still in the box. Her husband took the machine back to the dealer and the dealer would not give a refund. Said it was against policy. The husband had no use for a machine store credit. I will buy a machine from Walmart once a year before I'd ever buy anything from that Bernina dealer. Everyone in guild stopped shopping there too. The dealership and combined quilt store is not doing good in sales. He should have given the money back to the guild member. Who does he think shops at his store?

Serves him right. The husband is already grieving and then he treats him this way. He should have made an exception for this circumstance. In my Opinion!!!

ScrapQuilter 09-22-2010 09:56 PM

If I were you I would contact Bernina and let them know who you were treated by the dealer and your situation about finding one amoung your attachments after purchasing the one you wanted to return........... I too think the $150.00 price is way to high.... and let the company know how much you had to pay for the walking foot.
Never hurts to try going direct to the top.