Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Use that Stash! Fabric Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/use-stash-fabric-moratorium-t206795.html)

#1piecemaker 11-24-2012 06:41 AM

I try not to set myself up for failure. So, I have to bow out of this one. I know that I'll be being buying something. But, I will dilligently try to use from my stash. After all, a stash isn't a stash unless you stash it! heheheheh!:shock:

wolph33 11-24-2012 07:06 AM

lol,I will never do this.I can not help myself when I see fabric.good luck to those who try.Me not buying fabric would be like not breathing.

PaperPrincess 11-24-2012 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by KarenR (Post 5676169)
I would like to do this but what about finishing kits? Can I buy them?

Use what is in the stash.

I'm running to the fabric store- buy- at 50% off Christmas fabric. before 2013. LOL

Karen, There will not be any quilt police checking on this! If you need to buy a kit or yardage to finish a project, then sure, go ahead.

Gramie bj 11-24-2012 09:40 AM

I tryed this last year and failed!! LOL I think in Jan. I bought more fabric than I had in the 6 months before. LOL Something about someone (myself) telling me NO! So I have started easing into the moratorium. LOL I told myself I had to use at least one piece from my stash, and call it a challenge!! So far, so good, on my last project I used 2 from my stash and only bought one! YAH

ckcowl 11-24-2012 09:55 AM

i'm in again- did it this year---and did well- all total i bet i've spent less than $50 on fabrics for all of 2012 (except the wools i had to purchase for a commissioned quilt= but that doesn't really count because the person commissioning the quilt paid for supplies)
my stash is still over-flowing & over whelming---but i will say it is more difficult - pushes the creativity- because the pieces are much smaller than they were the beginning of 2012- i have to come up with ways to use smaller amounts of lots...
anyhow- looking forward to another year of using the stash & saving money.

LoisM 11-24-2012 10:01 AM

I'll give it a try but I'm afraid it will go the way of New Year's resolutions and diets. :p

SewExtremeSeams 11-24-2012 10:15 AM

PaperPrincess, I too do not like to set myself up for failure. However, I am going to make a commitment to 'try' not to buy new fabric~~unless there is a really, really good reason. My goal is to get my stash under control and folded on comic boards. Reasons: to take up less space and to be able to visually see what I have. I would like to make enough quilts, even if I have to tie them, for others and to whittle my stash in two, at least. IF I buy fabric in 2013, it will be with immediate purpose instead of just having it to build my stash. Hope you won't mind me riding along for the encouragement I know will be offered.

Doesn't it seem like we were very inclined to buy fabric in 2012 because prices were going up? Well, LOL, they did go up but I would hate to have too much stash leftover when I die. :D I think I have hedged myself enough against rising prices and I "love" each piece or else why would I have purchased it?! Thank you for raising the challenge. May we all be successful in 2013!

Sunnie 11-24-2012 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by LoisM (Post 5676623)
I'll give it a try but I'm afraid it will go the way of New Year's resolutions and diets. :p

I'm with Lois...I'll try my best.

scrappingfaye58 11-24-2012 10:36 AM

Count me in!! This past year, I was diagnosed with Metastatic Melanoma, so my income is seriously below what I usually make. I recently inheritated some BEAUTIFUL fabrics from a local quilt designer/freecycler so, I do have quite a wonderful stash to use.

grandmacharlie 11-24-2012 10:37 AM

I'm in. I have way too much material and need to whittle down my stash. Keep the reminders coming. Thanks