Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   useful or use less quilting notions. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/useful-use-less-quilting-notions-t53846.html)

Pat G 07-13-2010 10:44 AM

On the topic of irons, I want to finally break down & buy a Rowenta. Since they're pricey, I don't know which one to get. For those of you who have Rowentas, which one do you like & why. Or do some of you prefer another brand?
Thanks

mlaceruby 07-13-2010 11:15 AM

The Rowenta travel steam iron
nice and light for all the piecing
much better than using a big heavy iron!
but the big Rowenta is still sitting there being used for
when I iron large pieces of fabric and when I start to combine squares to make a quilt top.

3699quilter 07-13-2010 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by purplemem

Originally Posted by justme2
Hello.Can I ask for more info on the Simplicity bias maker ?
Does it work alone, or do you need other equipment with it?
I've bought too many "must haves" especially specialty rulers,
so kind of leary of new gadgets. TIA,Pat

I have the Simplicity Bias Maker, it is a stand alone machine that operates by current or by battery. It comes with 2 or 3 tips for various sizes of tape, however, I had to purchase the 2 1/2 inch separately for about $10. What it does is iron the tape and roll it onto a spool. It does NOT cut. I love it, it presses either single or double fold, depending on the tip used.

I'm confused - does this make binding for the quilt?

sewmuchmore 07-13-2010 12:20 PM

I purchased a small table top ironing board and it was not stable enough for me. :( Out to the shop it went. I love my rulers. :thumbup:

MistyMarie 07-13-2010 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by 3699quilter

Originally Posted by purplemem

Originally Posted by justme2
Hello.Can I ask for more info on the Simplicity bias maker ?
Does it work alone, or do you need other equipment with it?
I've bought too many "must haves" especially specialty rulers,
so kind of leary of new gadgets. TIA,Pat

I have the Simplicity Bias Maker, it is a stand alone machine that operates by current or by battery. It comes with 2 or 3 tips for various sizes of tape, however, I had to purchase the 2 1/2 inch separately for about $10. What it does is iron the tape and roll it onto a spool. It does NOT cut. I love it, it presses either single or double fold, depending on the tip used.

I'm confused - does this make binding for the quilt?

It does when you cut the strips for it to fold and iron. (I, however, threw out my cord with my box, so I had to use the one off my laptop to make it work!) I am wanting to get some different sized bias folders though. Any recommendations on a site to go to?

jane65us 07-13-2010 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by katsewnsew
I guess I would have to say the Rotary Cutter is the all time best notion I have!
All Time worse is the rotary blade cutter, it was around 20 plus dollars and totally worthless.

HUH??????

Pat G 07-13-2010 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by mlaceruby
The Rowenta travel steam iron
nice and light for all the piecing
much better than using a big heavy iron!
but the big Rowenta is still sitting there being used for
when I iron large pieces of fabric and when I start to combine squares to make a quilt top.

Thanks for your info. I may look at the travel iron more closely.

cinnamon 07-13-2010 03:52 PM

When I use mine I always burn myself. The Clover mini iron

luvin quilting 07-13-2010 07:17 PM

What is the yahoo group?

Originally Posted by BellaBoo

Originally Posted by teddysmom
My husband bought the AccuGo. Still not sure it's worth the price since all dies are extra and run $75+. I wouldn't
have spent the money but HE insisted it was worth the money. I now let him cut all my 2 1/2" strips. If you have money to spare and feel that money isn't an issue, you MIGHT consider it.

Sara in NC

You are shopping at the wrong place! I find the dies at 40% off all the time online. Just two weeks ago I found the new designer dies for 50% off and free shipping. The sales are always listed on the yahoo group but you have to hurry when they are listed.

mem123 07-13-2010 09:01 PM

My favorites are my three hemastats that BIL gave me.I use them all the time for holding fabrics and pulling pins.
Don't own any notions I don't use or don't like.