Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   useful or use less quilting notions. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/useful-use-less-quilting-notions-t53846.html)

gale 07-14-2010 12:04 AM

My most used stuff:

clover chaco liner
quilt gloves w/ the index and thumb tips cut off
seam ripper (of course) I'll have to look for the square ones
the angler (now have clearly perfect angles-same thing)
fiskars craft rotary cutter (ruler with an attached blade)
mini ironing board-it's actually a wooden tv tray that I added padding to to make a little one
travel iron-I have a rowenta one that is so much nicer than dragging out my big iron which practically covers my entire mini ironing board
clover pins-these are the best ones I've ever used
fiskars cutting mats and rotary cutter-I've tried other brands of cutters but love my fiskars (I have 3)
plastic rulers-I have a bunch and multiples of the ones I use most
thread snippers from joanns-those cheapy ones that spring open
gingher scissors-dh bought them for me and he picked out the ones with the gold handles.
Hemostat-I bought it at a flea market

ones I never use-not really useless but I never use them:
chalk pouncer tool
too many templates I'll probably never use
clover mini iron

as for a regular iron I'm happy with my black & decker digital advantage. I did some research before I bought it and thought the rowentas got too many negative reviews for the price. I only paid $40 for the B&D.

rahaube 07-14-2010 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by mlaceruby
clover iron thought I needed it but used it once and
was a waste of money
a lip edge ruler that I can't get a handle on
a small apple core template that the rotary cutter won't work with( too small)

what I love! DWR template set I am currently trying to make 3 queen size and have all my arc done!
Industrial embroidery machine bobbin winder- purchased on ebay for like $25- winds all my bobbins quick and really full LOVE IT!

I have the DWR template set and loved it. My sister who is 70 years old and a widow for 31 years was getting married and I only had 3 months to complete a quilt for her wedding. I couldn't have done it without the templates. We see each other all the time and she couldn't figure out when I fit in time to do the quilt. It wasn't easy but well worth the effort.

Pat G 07-14-2010 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by gale
My most used stuff:

clover chaco liner
quilt gloves w/ the index and thumb tips cut off
seam ripper (of course) I'll have to look for the square ones
the angler (now have clearly perfect angles-same thing)
fiskars craft rotary cutter (ruler with an attached blade)
mini ironing board-it's actually a wooden tv tray that I added padding to to make a little one
travel iron-I have a rowenta one that is so much nicer than dragging out my big iron which practically covers my entire mini ironing board
clover pins-these are the best ones I've ever used
fiskars cutting mats and rotary cutter-I've tried other brands of cutters but love my fiskars (I have 3)
plastic rulers-I have a bunch and multiples of the ones I use most
thread snippers from joanns-those cheapy ones that spring open
gingher scissors-dh bought them for me and he picked out the ones with the gold handles.
Hemostat-I bought it at a flea market

ones I never use-not really useless but I never use them:
chalk pouncer tool
too many templates I'll probably never use
clover mini iron

as for a regular iron I'm happy with my black & decker digital advantage. I did some research before I bought it and thought the rowentas got too many negative reviews for the price. I only paid $40 for the B&D.

Thanks, Gale. I'm going to ck this out.

Debra Mc 07-14-2010 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie

Originally Posted by 3699quilter

Originally Posted by purplemem

Originally Posted by justme2
Hello.Can I ask for more info on the Simplicity bias maker ?
Does it work alone, or do you need other equipment with it?
I've bought too many "must haves" especially specialty rulers,
so kind of leary of new gadgets. TIA,Pat

I have the Simplicity Bias Maker, it is a stand alone machine that operates by current or by battery. It comes with 2 or 3 tips for various sizes of tape, however, I had to purchase the 2 1/2 inch separately for about $10. What it does is iron the tape and roll it onto a spool. It does NOT cut. I love it, it presses either single or double fold, depending on the tip used.

I'm confused - does this make binding for the quilt?

It does when you cut the strips for it to fold and iron. (I, however, threw out my cord with my box, so I had to use the one off my laptop to make it work!) I am wanting to get some different sized bias folders though. Any recommendations on a site to go to?

Hancocks have them in the stores so they should have them on line.

Debra Mc 07-14-2010 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by sewmuchmore
I purchased a small table top ironing board and it was not stable enough for me. :( Out to the shop it went. I love my rulers. :thumbup:

Mine was stable but I warpped it by pressing it too hard or the steam & heat made it slope down in the middle. Still use it when I have too.

luvin quilting 07-15-2010 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by rahaube

Originally Posted by mlaceruby
clover iron thought I needed it but used it once and
was a waste of money
a lip edge ruler that I can't get a handle on
a small apple core template that the rotary cutter won't work with( too small)

what I love! DWR template set I am currently trying to make 3 queen size and have all my arc done!
Industrial embroidery machine bobbin winder- purchased on ebay for like $25- winds all my bobbins quick and really full LOVE IT!

I have the DWR template set and loved it. My sister who is 70 years old and a widow for 31 years was getting married and I only had 3 months to complete a quilt for her wedding. I couldn't have done it without the templates. We see each other all the time and she couldn't figure out when I fit in time to do the quilt. It wasn't easy but well worth the effort.

I would really appreciate it if someone could explain what a DWR template is and how do you use it?

seamstome 07-15-2010 10:13 AM

Double Wedding Ring template.

zz-pd 07-15-2010 03:26 PM

I use my steleto all the time. God bless

sueisallaboutquilts 07-16-2010 08:22 AM

I don't know if books are considered "notions" but I've spent way to much on them over the years. I did a major thinning out this year and rarely buy them anymore. My favorite notion has to be my rotary cutter and mat. Can't believe I started quilting without them :D

Debra Mc 07-16-2010 09:37 AM

I have gotten so spoiled to roto cutter that I seldom us scissors.