Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using the “wrong” side? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-%93wrong%94-side-t299545.html)

McKayzie 09-14-2018 11:40 AM

Using the “wrong” side?

I just recieved a layer cake of only one color, cream with lighter dots and it’s not the color I wanted. I ordered it online so I couldn’t see it in person and now I don’t want to waste it.
The thing is, that the wrong side of the fabric is perfect for what I need. Would using an entire layer cake “wrong side” effect the quality of the quilt?

Sephie 09-14-2018 11:46 AM

Not at all. I think we often forget that we purchased two sides to fabric. If the wrong side is perfect for your needs, it's clearly the "right" side! :D

It should not have any affect on the quality of the quilt, and I would encourage you to do it. Many board members have used the wrong sides either knowingly or unknowingly and I suspect their quilts are just fine. There is no wrong side with solids, and we never have problems with those either, so I think you're fine.

Please don't forget to show us a picture of what you make :)

Eva Knight 09-14-2018 11:46 AM

No, it won't effect the quality of your quilt. I've used the "wrong side" when it was more suiteable for my quilts.

Iceblossom 09-14-2018 11:53 AM

Use whatever side you like better! As already mentioned solids have no "right" sides, a lot of batiks I like better from the back -- but truthfully once they are off the bolt I don't really know which side is "right".

If a fabric close but not quite right, tea dye or bleach or I've been known to draw lines on tone-on-tone prints with a sharpy pen. Now, we don't know if those fabrics will hold up 100 years from now or not, but I'm making them for me/this generation.

My best "wrong" side story is a Storm at Sea I made. I don't know how many times I handled each block but somehow I missed realizing that one of the larger pieces was inside out until after it was hanging at a show. No one else ever commented on that piece...

osewme 09-14-2018 11:54 AM

The quality of the fabric is the same on the front as it is on the back. Using the back of the fabric is very common in quilt making. You don't have to use the back of the fabric for the entire quilt...you can mix & match back & front if that's what works best for you.

ILoveToQuilt 09-14-2018 12:17 PM

You bought both sides, so you can use both sides. I know I have!

McKayzie 09-14-2018 12:24 PM

Thanks for the replies. You guys are great!

QuiltingHaven 09-14-2018 01:45 PM

Hey, I do them all the time. Sometimes the other back of the fabric is what I need either more showy or quieter to another quilt.

osewfast 09-14-2018 04:18 PM

I've done this many times. Go for it!
Consider it thinking outside the 'box' and gaining a whole new stash of possibilities. =)

Donna Mc

Karamarie 09-15-2018 04:28 AM

I do that a lot. Works great.