Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Using the “wrong” side?

Question Using the “wrong” side?

I just recieved a layer cake of only one color, cream with lighter dots and it’s not the color I wanted. I ordered it online so I couldn’t see it in person and now I don’t want to waste it.
    The thing is, that the wrong side of the fabric is perfect for what I need. Would using an entire layer cake “wrong side” effect the quality of the quilt?

Not at all. I think we often forget that we purchased two sides to fabric. If the wrong side is perfect for your needs, it's clearly the "right" side!

It should not have any affect on the quality of the quilt, and I would encourage you to do it. Many board members have used the wrong sides either knowingly or unknowingly and I suspect their quilts are just fine. There is no wrong side with solids, and we never have problems with those either, so I think you're fine.

Please don't forget to show us a picture of what you make

No, it won't effect the quality of your quilt. I've used the "wrong side" when it was more suiteable for my quilts.

Use whatever side you like better! As already mentioned solids have no "right" sides, a lot of batiks I like better from the back -- but truthfully once they are off the bolt I don't really know which side is "right".

If a fabric close but not quite right, tea dye or bleach or I've been known to draw lines on tone-on-tone prints with a sharpy pen. Now, we don't know if those fabrics will hold up 100 years from now or not, but I'm making them for me/this generation.

My best "wrong" side story is a Storm at Sea I made. I don't know how many times I handled each block but somehow I missed realizing that one of the larger pieces was inside out until after it was hanging at a show. No one else ever commented on that piece...

The quality of the fabric is the same on the front as it is on the back. Using the back of the fabric is very common in quilt making. You don't have to use the back of the fabric for the entire quilt...you can mix & match back & front if that's what works best for you.

You bought both sides, so you can use both sides. I know I have!
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Thanks for the replies. You guys are great!

Hey, I do them all the time. Sometimes the other back of the fabric is what I need either more showy or quieter to another quilt.
    Busy in Ohio

I've done this many times. Go for it!
    Consider it thinking outside the 'box' and gaining a whole new stash of possibilities. =)

Donna Mc

I do that a lot. Works great.
    Last edited by Karamarie; 09-15-2018 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Error

Just call it the muted side instead of the wrong side....��

Absolutely use the side that is best for your needs. I have used both sides in the same quilts before because the "wrong" side was just the perfect color and blended beautifully. And you don't even need to feel like you should explain as no one will be able to tell.....and won't notice anyway.
    But to answer your question, the quality of the fabric is the same on both sides, only the colors may be different.

To me it's not the "wrong" side, rather the "other" side!
    Use it and enjoy yourself
    I consider you very clever!

Blog Entries
    I tell folks that quilters get a better deal because we buy 2 fabrics in 1! Often I will use the back side to coordinate.

Blog Entries
    This has been asked before with the response that many of us DO use the backs as well as the fronts. Usually been said that "you pay for both sides so use whichever one you want".
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

It’s not a problem. When my youngest daughter was little, I went to JoAnn’s and I found the perfect pansy fabric. I chose all of the coordinating fabric at the same time. They were lovely pastels. When I got home I realized that the pansy fabric had been folded right side together on the bolt. It was very bright. I used the wrong side without any problem.

I love the option of using the side that works. It's so good to be able to do that. I've used the other side rather often.
    SEW MUCH FUN!

I often found that once I turned a piece of fabric over I discovered the exact shade I needed. I felt so clever.

Just think! Your stash is twice as big when you use both sides of your fabric.

Blog Entries
    I pay for both sides of my fabric and use the side that works best in my project. No one ever knows once it’s in your quilt what the other side looks like.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Quote Originally Posted by McKayzie View Post
    I just recieved a layer cake of only one color, cream with lighter dots and it’s not the color I wanted. I ordered it online so I couldn’t see it in person and now I don’t want to waste it.
    The thing is, that the wrong side of the fabric is perfect for what I need. Would using an entire layer cake “wrong side” effect the quality of the quilt?
    I do it all the time. Nobody knows the difference.

It's your quilt. You can do whatever you want. Sometimes reversing the fabric gives an interesting contrast with the "right" side.
    "Accomplishment is a consequence of effort" -- Michael Crichton

I've used the wrong side with no problem.

I have actually used both sides sometimes in the same piece so that it looks like I have two different fabrics - then I really did get two for the price of one!