Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using a bed sheet for backing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-bed-sheet-backing-t40242.html)

Ms Grace 03-24-2010 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Target carries them in singles all sizes and tons of colors. I was buying King size top sheets for $4 a pop.

I just bought one just to see if I liked the quality and after I compared it to the Kona cotton I was using I went back and bought all of the king size top sheets they had and another Target had. I think I spent around $250 so I am set up for a while. :mrgreen:

Billy

Billy,
After you wash the finished quilt, you'll LOVE the feel of it even more! :D

diannemc 03-24-2010 08:14 AM

I have not done that many quilts but I just bought two sheet to try..They are good all cotton sheets.. After washing them they are so soft..hope they do good. I got them at a store called Dirt Cheap for $3.00 each..Full size. we will see??

mayday 03-24-2010 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by butterjoy
I do that all the time! I also use old blankets for the middle if I cannot buy batting/matting (?) Yep, I am on disability cannot afford buying good stuff.

do you use thinner wool ones and are they easy to hand quilt?

Olivia's Grammy 03-24-2010 11:11 AM

I checked Target's sheets today. They have a large varity of colors and they start at 250 thread count. They weren't on sale so I'll wait another day to buy.

Gramma Harley 03-24-2010 11:48 AM

My grandmother who hand pieced and hand quilted tiny little stitches always liked using sheets for backing. She really liked to have a crisp white back on her quilts without seams. She never complained, but since she was on SS, I'm sure she bought the cheap ones with a looser weave. I have a quilt she made for me which she died the sheet brown and it has been just fine for 25 years.

sewmom 03-24-2010 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by judyq
I agree, penski... I always learn new things after visiting these topics. I don't have access to a lot of wide width fabric choices so I always have to cut mine and sew them together creating a seam across the middle of the back. Plus, trying to get that seam in the middle of the top is a pain. I'm definitely going to try a sheet. There are so many more color choices and I'll watch for the 200 thread count. Thank you so much for dicussing this topic! I can see $savings$ written all over my next quilt! :o)

I have never used a sheet-i like my back to either be a fabric that is in the top or coordinate with the theme o the quilt. I never have a center seam though- i either piece it horizontally or have two vertical seams in the quilt. i've also pieced the back if necessary (ie fabric shortage)

katsewnsew 03-24-2010 03:51 PM

When my kids were little and money was very tight, I made quilts for the kids with sheets for backing. They are still around, and still looking good. I haven't used them for a very long time, but I think I will give them a try again. The flannel sheets sound like a really good idea! Thanks for bringing this subject up! I really learned a lot from you all, as usual!!!

rein 03-24-2010 05:28 PM

For donation quilts - I have used 200 to 250 thread count sheets and not noticed a problem - but then, I did not keep the quilts so do not know how they have or will last.

zz-pd 03-24-2010 05:30 PM

I have to wait, but when my hubby gets paid again. I will go see if target has cheap sheets, or the good will.so I can get one. Penny p.s. the quilt is beautiful and thank you everyone for such wonderful advice.

Judy McCrary 03-25-2010 02:00 PM

I buy flat sheets at Wal Mart and use for backing. I do hand quilting and haven't had any problems. I used to buy fabric and had to have a seam sewn to make it large enough. I much perfer using the sheets. I don't know about other places, but I do not have to buy the fitted sheet, just the flat one. I plan to continue using the flat sheets for all my quilts in the future.