Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using a bed sheet for backing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-bed-sheet-backing-t40242.html)

Betty Ruth 03-25-2010 06:21 PM

I, too have to watch my pennies. I buy sheets that are still in good condition at garage sales. Since I am physically unable to hand quilt, the fact that the sheet fabric might be too tightly woven is not a consideration. I either machine quilt or tie all my quilts. I find that sheets that have been washed several times but are not worn make good backs.

Betty Ruth 03-25-2010 06:22 PM

I, too have to watch my pennies. I buy sheets that are still in good condition at garage sales. Since I am physically unable to hand quilt, the fact that the sheet fabric might be too tightly woven is not a consideration. I either machine quilt or tie all my quilts. I find that sheets that have been washed several times but are not worn make good backs.

JulieAnn 03-25-2010 06:58 PM

I have been using a 100% cotton sheet for foundation strip piecing.(recycing) I'll be using a pretty backing which will be machine tacked. I think this will be OK?

Judy McCrary 03-25-2010 07:13 PM

Just wanted to let anyone within driving distance of Sir's Fabric store in Fayetteville Tn. that it is worth your while to shop there. It's like fabric heaven. They have so many choices and wonderful prices. You can also order on line at Sirsfabric.com. My mother and I live in Alabama and do a good bit of quilting and make a run to Sir's a couple times a year.

Lostn51 03-25-2010 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Judy McCrary
Just wanted to let anyone within driving distance of Sir's Fabric store in Fayetteville Tn. that it is worth your while to shop there. It's like fabric heaven. They have so many choices and wonderful prices. You can also order on line at Sirsfabric.com. My mother and I live in Alabama and do a good bit of quilting and make a run to Sir's a couple times a year.

I have family in Fayetteville, that would be another good reason to go and visit!!

Billy

annette 03-26-2010 10:14 PM

That's all i use for backing is bed sheets and the ladies i quilt with also use sheets we send our quilts out to be quilted haven't had a problem yet. :P

Seanette 03-26-2010 11:23 PM

How do sheets compare to the usual quilting fabric as far as thread count?

Side note: I know Target sells flat & fitted individually because we have a double bed, and I routinely buy the full fitted sheet and a queen top sheet and blanket when I'm buying bedding. That way, we get the extra width that cuts down on disputes over who's hogging the covers. ;)

Gal 03-27-2010 12:35 AM

What an interesting thread for beginners like myself, I have learnt SO much from you all, thankyou so much! I think I shall be prepared to give sheets a try.

For my QS quilt which I hand quilted I used the very wide 100% cotton calico which I washed a few times, I chose it because it is so soft , did I do the right thing could it be too soft and not last the distance?

Gal

connie2699 03-27-2010 07:37 AM

I am on disability also, and yes you do have to improvise sometimes. A very good place to buy sheets very cheap is at the goodwill stores.

theifner 03-27-2010 12:48 PM

Do you all use anything in between your quilt top and sheet?