Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   using blue painters tape for quilting - clarification (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-blue-painters-tape-quilting-clarification-t226152.html)

junegerbracht 07-21-2013 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by qwerty (Post 6186345)
I use it all the time for sewing in zippers on clothes. Works amazing and I just sew right through it then peel it off. I also used it on the queen size labyrinth quilt I made for straight line quilting. It worked great for that too and I didn't feel any residue. When I stitched over it, I just peeled it off like I do the zippers. Any little bits left behind will come out in the wash.

Thanks for the great idea. Have used the painter's tape for quilting but never thought of using it for zippers.

JanieH 07-21-2013 11:39 AM

Love this thread = it is answering questions I had not even thought of but the information is great!
Thanks to everyone who has responded!

quiltmom04 07-21-2013 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy (Post 6186194)
Yes, you set your needle next to the tape and if you sew over it that means you are going
too fast. Just slow down and everything will be good.
Two more things when you sew over the tape - your line might be a little crooked and
you might have to change the tape for the next tape because your tape may not longer

be straight. Just depends how bad it is. Don't worry, just have fun.

Or you can put your 1/4" foot up against the tape and you will have a little wiggle room in case your stitching is not dead on.

charlotte37830 07-21-2013 08:59 PM

If my painter's tape isn't the exact width I want my rows to be I draw an arrow pointing to the side I want to stitch on. Then I can tape several rows at a time and not forget which side to sew on.

Pat625 07-21-2013 09:23 PM

I apply the tape on my machine at 1/4 inch from the needle. This gives you a guide to sew by. I worked great when teaching my daughters. FOund many new uses on here!!

GrannieAnnie 07-21-2013 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by meyert (Post 6186175)
Hello.. I have read about how useful the blue painters tape is for quilting. I wanted to give this a try but I would like some clarification. If I use the tape on my quilt for marking where to machine quilt.... I lay the tape on the quilt top and do I set my needle directly next to the tape? What happens if I accidentally sew on the tape - does that ruin things? Please let me know your thoughts. I looked for some videos to help me know how to start, but I couldn't find any Thanks

If you sew into the tape it's not the end of the world. You may cuss a bit pulling the tape off.

I use it most ofen to keep a bias edge from stretching out.

GrannieAnnie 07-21-2013 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6186195)
Painter's tape is a nice way to mark straight quilting lines. I have used it for hand and machine quilting. I stitch just beside it but if you accidentally catch it, it is not the end if the world. It is a little tricky to remove it if you sew through it so I try to only sew beside it. If I catch a few stitches, I use tweezers to gently pull the tape out of the stitches.

I use the same words in my response---------it's not the end of the world"!!

GrannieAnnie 07-21-2013 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by jemma (Post 6187884)
i use it for marking the line on my ruler that i want to cut to---so my eyes do not get confused with all the markings
speeds the cutting

I've used roll after roll for marking on my rulers.

GrannieAnnie 07-21-2013 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by moneill (Post 6188038)
I use it when I'm ripping out stitches and there's lots of little threads. It's a great way to quickly remove them.

Thank you, thank you! My hands hurt to much to pull more than a couple stitches with a tweezer.

tesspug 07-21-2013 10:02 PM

I just line the edge of my walking foot up with the tape and never sew into it.