Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   using blue painters tape for quilting - clarification (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-blue-painters-tape-quilting-clarification-t226152.html)

meyert 07-19-2013 07:20 PM

using blue painters tape for quilting - clarification

Hello.. I have read about how useful the blue painters tape is for quilting. I wanted to give this a try but I would like some clarification. If I use the tape on my quilt for marking where to machine quilt.... I lay the tape on the quilt top and do I set my needle directly next to the tape? What happens if I accidentally sew on the tape - does that ruin things? Please let me know your thoughts. I looked for some videos to help me know how to start, but I couldn't find any Thanks

EasyPeezy 07-19-2013 07:35 PM

Yes, you set your needle next to the tape and if you sew over it that means you are going
too fast. Just slow down and everything will be good.
Two more things when you sew over the tape - your line might be a little crooked and
you might have to change the tape for the next tape because your tape may not longer
be straight. Just depends how bad it is. Don't worry, just have fun.

Tartan 07-19-2013 07:36 PM

Painter's tape is a nice way to mark straight quilting lines. I have used it for hand and machine quilting. I stitch just beside it but if you accidentally catch it, it is not the end if the world. It is a little tricky to remove it if you sew through it so I try to only sew beside it. If I catch a few stitches, I use tweezers to gently pull the tape out of the stitches.

DOTTYMO 07-19-2013 09:57 PM

I have used it not for following line in quiltng but for sandwiching. It is stronger than masking tape and if any kind of silicone has been put on tables it does hold better.
My problem with it does all the sticky come off as it is so much stronger?

ckcowl 07-20-2013 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO (Post 6186276)
I have used it not for following line in quiltng but for sandwiching. It is stronger than masking tape and if any kind of silicone has been put on tables it does hold better.
My problem with it does all the sticky come off as it is so much stronger?

there should not be any sticky residue left behind if using painters tape- masking tape leaves a horrible residue that may or may not come off, may or may not leave a stain---the reason for using painter's tape instead is to avoid those problems. don't iron over the tape though. if you do have any residue left on your quilt after removing painters tape it should wash away when your quilt is laundered.

qwerty 07-20-2013 02:23 AM

I use it all the time for sewing in zippers on clothes. Works amazing and I just sew right through it then peel it off. I also used it on the queen size labyrinth quilt I made for straight line quilting. It worked great for that too and I didn't feel any residue. When I stitched over it, I just peeled it off like I do the zippers. Any little bits left behind will come out in the wash.

117becca 07-20-2013 02:52 AM

I agree, painters tape should not leave a residue - the tackiness is less so that it doesn't pull paint off the wall. I've used it before, too. I do prefer to draw my lines on the quilt though.

sandy l 07-20-2013 03:20 AM

Any time that I'm just going to do grid quilting, I use painters tape. For me, it's a lot easier than marking.

meyert 07-20-2013 06:34 AM

Thank you for your replies... they covered my concerns. Now I am ready to go!!:thumbup:

mighty 07-20-2013 07:00 AM

Good luck, you should do just fine!!!