Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using fleece for batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-fleece-batting-t135192.html)

nyelphaba 07-04-2011 03:12 PM

OK. You use polar fleece instead of batting and then no backing is needed? Isn't there also a white fleece that is sold like batting? It is thin and on hugh rolls like batting.

AlwaysQuilting 07-04-2011 03:21 PM

oops. Sorry. I was going to post but then realized I'd misread the topic.

bakermom 07-04-2011 03:28 PM

i use fleece in place of batting often. i have also used it in place of batting in the center of rag quilt blocks

wtxpeach 07-04-2011 03:36 PM

Has anyone used it sandwiched like W&N? Is it too hot or too heavy? Does it hold up? Is it easy to quilt? With the price of batting sky high, alternatives are looking very attractive!

Barb44 07-04-2011 04:57 PM

You can use anything you want for quilt filling, but if you want to use a filling that won't shrink, make sure all your cottons were prewashed/preshrunk or you quilt all over very closely so they cannot shrink.

When I first read your post I thought you meant the white fleece batting. But if you mean polar fleece the only thing I would be concerned about is the color of the polar fleece showing through unless you can get white.

NikkiLu 07-04-2011 05:14 PM

I would certainly wash and dry the fleece before use. A friend gave me a two sided fleece blanket - with fringe on the 4 sides - not quilted at all - and the first time I washed it - it went WONKY - the top and the back were different prints.

sammygirlqt 07-04-2011 05:30 PM

I have used fleece with no batting and had good success. I spray basted the fleece to the top and then did my quilting. Turned out lovely, soft and light.

Ramona Byrd 07-04-2011 05:39 PM

I still have some Levi jackets that are too cold for real winter weather. I put some fleece in one (Real sheep skin from one of my late DH's jacket) and some regular Joann's fleece in another for less cold weather. It works nicely. I washed it first and dried it in hot, didn't seem to shrink.

sushi 07-04-2011 05:46 PM

Like several others, I've used fleece as batting sandwiched between two layers of cotton fabrics. Because I've washed and dried all the fabrics in advance, I've not encountered any problems.

That said, I've used non-pill fleece. Not sure if the results would have been as good if I'd used the cheap stuff.

kraftykimberly 07-04-2011 08:04 PM

I use fleece all the time as batting, pairing with it 505 spray since the fleece is usually stretchy in one direction. The 505 works to help with stabilizing the fleece. I've also used fleece instead of pellon in alot of bags and totes. Sometimes I will use the fleece in place of batting or pellon just on the lining of the bag, it just depends on the look and "stiffness" factor I'm looking to get with the tote. If I'm making a hobo bag or slouchy bags or make-up cases the fleece is fine, but if I'm making a bow tuck (that I like to have a more sturdy shape) I bypass the fleece and go with the more expensive pellon. Hope that helps.