Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Using fleece for batting

Blog Entries
    I searched this and found a couple of threads about using fleece for batting. I'm not sure if it's recommended or would be advised against. I have quite a bit of fleece, that I will probably never use. I'd love to find a use for it, especially as I don't have any regular batting right now.

Any opinions?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    I would like to know this too

Blog Entries
    I am planning too, I can get it a lot cheaper than batting :D:D:D

Would like to see the answer to this question also. I have more fleece than batting also.

Blog Entries
    The only idea that comes to mind is that you would want to preshrink your cottons first, because the fleece will not shrink the same. I have used it as a backing on a baby quilt without any problems. The panel was shrunk first. Good Luck:)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraSue
    The only idea that comes to mind is that you would want to preshrink your cottons first, because the fleece will not shrink the same. I have used it as a backing on a baby quilt without any problems. The panel was shrunk first. Good Luck:)
    What if the quilt top is already put together? Can I still wash it before it's sandwiched, quilted, and bound?

This sounds like a great idea if it will work. Batting, even at JoAnn's has gone up so much, even with the coupon. Fleece, I think would be alot cheaper... I will watch this thread.

Have never tried it for batting but when I was young we lived in the south in the country and my mother used old thin blankets for her quilt batting.

What fleece are you all referring to?

I've used: 1 finished top + 1 piece of polar fleece = 1 quilt.
    Works great (for me).

OK. You use polar fleece instead of batting and then no backing is needed? Isn't there also a white fleece that is sold like batting? It is thin and on hugh rolls like batting.

Blog Entries
    oops. Sorry. I was going to post but then realized I'd misread the topic.

i use fleece in place of batting often. i have also used it in place of batting in the center of rag quilt blocks

Has anyone used it sandwiched like W&N? Is it too hot or too heavy? Does it hold up? Is it easy to quilt? With the price of batting sky high, alternatives are looking very attractive!

You can use anything you want for quilt filling, but if you want to use a filling that won't shrink, make sure all your cottons were prewashed/preshrunk or you quilt all over very closely so they cannot shrink.

When I first read your post I thought you meant the white fleece batting. But if you mean polar fleece the only thing I would be concerned about is the color of the polar fleece showing through unless you can get white.

Blog Entries
    I would certainly wash and dry the fleece before use. A friend gave me a two sided fleece blanket - with fringe on the 4 sides - not quilted at all - and the first time I washed it - it went WONKY - the top and the back were different prints.

I have used fleece with no batting and had good success. I spray basted the fleece to the top and then did my quilting. Turned out lovely, soft and light.

Blog Entries
    I still have some Levi jackets that are too cold for real winter weather. I put some fleece in one (Real sheep skin from one of my late DH's jacket) and some regular Joann's fleece in another for less cold weather. It works nicely. I washed it first and dried it in hot, didn't seem to shrink.

Like several others, I've used fleece as batting sandwiched between two layers of cotton fabrics. Because I've washed and dried all the fabrics in advance, I've not encountered any problems.

That said, I've used non-pill fleece. Not sure if the results would have been as good if I'd used the cheap stuff.

I use fleece all the time as batting, pairing with it 505 spray since the fleece is usually stretchy in one direction. The 505 works to help with stabilizing the fleece. I've also used fleece instead of pellon in alot of bags and totes. Sometimes I will use the fleece in place of batting or pellon just on the lining of the bag, it just depends on the look and "stiffness" factor I'm looking to get with the tote. If I'm making a hobo bag or slouchy bags or make-up cases the fleece is fine, but if I'm making a bow tuck (that I like to have a more sturdy shape) I bypass the fleece and go with the more expensive pellon. Hope that helps.

Blog Entries
    I have used fleece to back my quilts but when I do, I don't use a batting. I usually use an off white or white.
    Also these are usually utility quilts.

I made a quilt last year using fleece for batting. The quilt is very heavy and will be nice and warm. I like to do my own machine quilting - nothing fancy - just meandering and maybe a few names stitched in to it. I had a very difficult time doing a simple stippling. My thread kept breaking after about a foot of stitching. I was too stubborn to stop and just do a stitch in the ditch. When I finished making a mess of my quilt, I then ripped out all the stippling and just did stitch in the ditch. I then washed it to be able to get all the needle marks out of it. I would suggest you try a small sample before committing to the whole quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by MommaDorian
    I searched this and found a couple of threads about using fleece for batting. I'm not sure if it's recommended or would be advised against. I have quite a bit of fleece, that I will probably never use. I'd love to find a use for it, especially as I don't have any regular batting right now.

Any opinions?

Thanks
    I dion't much care what the rules are. If I have fleece and I have a personal sized quilt, a kids quilt or a baby quilt-----------I USE THE FLEECE. But I generally use it for the backing. Of course, the quilts I use it on are going to be the daily use and drag around the house variety. If it were a "show" quilt, I'd wait until I had batting.

Blog Entries
    I used fleece on a backing for my 14 year old grandson and he loves it because it is so warm. I tied it and since I have arthritis in my hands it was very hard for me to get the thread through all three layers.

Quote Originally Posted by MommaDorian

Any opinions?

Thanks
    We use fleece for backing for wheelchair lap robes. They're warm, easy to wash and best of all, they don't slide off your lap. Our nursing home people love them. Also have used fleece for Linus quilt backings.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast