Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: using fleece as backing with batting-TROUBLE PLEASE HELP!!!

Unhappy using fleece as backing with batting-TROUBLE PLEASE HELP!!!

I am having No luck what-so-ever getting the knot to pop through the fleece with out it pulling completely through or the thread breaking. Ready to rip my hair out! I can't even get started! Oh, and used spray basting.
    Life may not be the party you expected it to be, but while you're here you might as well dance!

I'm confused. Are you trying to hand quilt?

Blog Entries
    I Don't know of anytime that you pull a knot through the backing. Is that what you are trying to do, I'm confused too. Let us know.

Power Poster
    I am assuming you are machine quilting, tieing the thread ends and trying to pop the knot in between the layers? If so, pull both threads to the top, knot and pop the knot through the top instead.

Only results I have found say to tie the quilt or machine quilt it. Yes, I am hand quilting.
    Life may not be the party you expected it to be, but while you're here you might as well dance!

WOW, I never even thought of trying to hand quilt thru the thickness of fleece. I think Tartan's idea of pulling both threads up and then burying them from the top would probably work best.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Start by inserting the needle in the top. Then push it straight down and pop the knot through the top. Send the needle straight up from the bottom and quilt away.

A very interesting problem -- I have used fleece as a backing for the first time this year, but have machine quilted my quilts and have back-stitched to secure my stitching and used pins to keep the layers together, no batting-- -- I think that handquilting would be difficult because of the thickness of the layers-- good luck--I would probably go through the quilt top and secure my knot in the batting
    diane

Thank you all very much for your comments. I would have never thought to bury it from the top. Thank you. One of those "Duh" moments.

Blog Entries
    I had exactly the same problem once trying to pull my yarn through for knotting my quilt. I think it is caused by the spray basting. I really don't have a solution for you; just wanted to let you know I feel your pain. I am also, practically a neighbor. I am from Camden and live in Oxford now. Maybe we have met.

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    WOW, I never even thought of trying to hand quilt thru the thickness of fleece. I think Tartan's idea of pulling both threads up and then burying them from the top would probably work best.
    Bless your heart, you got a job ahead of you.

Let us know how hand quilting fleece works out, it is one fabric I personally would not even try! Yikes! And good luck!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

I don't know if you're supposed to be using batting and fleece. The only time I have read about fleece being used as backing is without the batting.

I would not use a batting with fleece--know one person who did that--doing the 6-hr quilt of Kay Wood and boy did she regret it--she was given lots of advice not to do it but she did it anyway----good luck