Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   using invisible thread. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-invisible-thread-t63798.html)

chamby 09-08-2010 08:29 PM

I am going to have to use invisible thread for the first time. I am hemming a hugh banner for some friends. There are so many colors because the banner is a picture of them. What brands are the best to use, will it work okay in my home sewing machine? Most of all how do you use this stuff? I have to have the banner finished by Thursday evening. So not much time for expermenting. Need quick help. Also I do not want to mess with the tension on my bobbin case. I did this one time and ended having to buy another one at $8 a pop.

grammyp 09-08-2010 08:31 PM

I have used the invisible thread from Wal-mart with no problems. I have never used it in the bobbin, just the top. If the back of the quilt won't show, use a cream or gray thread. Those colors seem to hide better. There are also great selections of variegated threads out there.

Prism99 09-08-2010 08:38 PM

I use YLI brand invisible thread, which is very fine -- similar to a strand of hair. It may not be available locally, though. I think there is a polyester invisible thread widely available in JoAnn's, etc., that people like. If you have a chance to check, you want a thread that is very flexible, not wiry or thick like fishing line.

Whichever invisible thread you use, loosen you top tension. This type of thread has a tendency to stretch; that's why it's better to loosen the upper tension. You shouldn't need to adjust your bobbin tension.

Bluelady 09-08-2010 10:35 PM

I used whatever they had at Joann's, not sure of the brand but there wasn't much choice. I did end up putting it in the bobbin though because I couldn't get the tension right with regular bobbin thread.

Deecee 09-08-2010 11:35 PM

Do a search on invisible thread on this forum - you will find lots of advice.

I found that laying the thread in a jar behind my machine helped to prevent it springing off the spool and tangling around the spool holder. Also loosening the top tension is necessary otherwise the thread seems to drag and stretch and breaks before you realise what is happening.

I used it in the top only with 100% cotton in the bobbin.

Good luck - Once you sort out what suits your machine you should be fine.

chamby 09-09-2010 05:01 AM

Thanks so much. You have answered a lot my questions. I am glad to hear that I can use regular thread in my bobbin. also that I need to place the thread in a container behind my machine. Well time to get into the shower and off to hancock first. If I can not the very fine there then it is off to JoAnn's.

dungeonquilter 09-09-2010 06:19 AM

Look at the content of the thread. You will have better results with a poly thread than with a nylon thread.

chamby 09-09-2010 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by dungeonquilter
Look at the content of the thread. You will have better results with a poly thread than with a nylon thread.

So invisible thread comes in poly or nylon?

Prism99 09-09-2010 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by chamby

Originally Posted by dungeonquilter

So invisible thread comes in poly or nylon?

Yes.

mytwopals 09-09-2010 08:40 AM

I use YLI. Very lightweight and thin. It also doesn't stretch as much as others.