Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: using invisible thread.

  1. #1
    Super Member chamby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Clemmons, NC
    Posts
    1,057
    Blog Entries
    1
    I am going to have to use invisible thread for the first time. I am hemming a hugh banner for some friends. There are so many colors because the banner is a picture of them. What brands are the best to use, will it work okay in my home sewing machine? Most of all how do you use this stuff? I have to have the banner finished by Thursday evening. So not much time for expermenting. Need quick help. Also I do not want to mess with the tension on my bobbin case. I did this one time and ended having to buy another one at $8 a pop.

  2. #2
    Super Member grammyp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    2,488
    I have used the invisible thread from Wal-mart with no problems. I have never used it in the bobbin, just the top. If the back of the quilt won't show, use a cream or gray thread. Those colors seem to hide better. There are also great selections of variegated threads out there.

  3. #3
    Power Poster Prism99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    12,952
    Blog Entries
    1
    I use YLI brand invisible thread, which is very fine -- similar to a strand of hair. It may not be available locally, though. I think there is a polyester invisible thread widely available in JoAnn's, etc., that people like. If you have a chance to check, you want a thread that is very flexible, not wiry or thick like fishing line.

    Whichever invisible thread you use, loosen you top tension. This type of thread has a tendency to stretch; that's why it's better to loosen the upper tension. You shouldn't need to adjust your bobbin tension.

  4. #4
    Super Member Bluelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Puyallup, WA
    Posts
    2,051
    I used whatever they had at Joann's, not sure of the brand but there wasn't much choice. I did end up putting it in the bobbin though because I couldn't get the tension right with regular bobbin thread.

  5. #5
    Super Member Deecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    3,707
    Do a search on invisible thread on this forum - you will find lots of advice.

    I found that laying the thread in a jar behind my machine helped to prevent it springing off the spool and tangling around the spool holder. Also loosening the top tension is necessary otherwise the thread seems to drag and stretch and breaks before you realise what is happening.

    I used it in the top only with 100% cotton in the bobbin.

    Good luck - Once you sort out what suits your machine you should be fine.

  6. #6
    Super Member chamby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Clemmons, NC
    Posts
    1,057
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks so much. You have answered a lot my questions. I am glad to hear that I can use regular thread in my bobbin. also that I need to place the thread in a container behind my machine. Well time to get into the shower and off to hancock first. If I can not the very fine there then it is off to JoAnn's.

  7. #7
    Super Member dungeonquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,031
    Look at the content of the thread. You will have better results with a poly thread than with a nylon thread.

  8. #8
    Super Member chamby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Clemmons, NC
    Posts
    1,057
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by dungeonquilter
    Look at the content of the thread. You will have better results with a poly thread than with a nylon thread.
    So invisible thread comes in poly or nylon?

  9. #9
    Power Poster Prism99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    12,952
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by chamby
    Quote Originally Posted by dungeonquilter
    Look at the content of the thread. You will have better results with a poly thread than with a nylon thread.
    So invisible thread comes in poly or nylon?
    Yes.

  10. #10
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,392
    I use YLI. Very lightweight and thin. It also doesn't stretch as much as others.

  11. #11
    KR
    KR is offline
    Senior Member KR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Where it's warm & sunny all the time :-)
    Posts
    632
    Quote Originally Posted by dungeonquilter
    Look at the content of the thread. You will have better results with a poly thread than with a nylon thread.


    Oh, thanks for that tidbit!

    I haven't used invisible yet, but asked at a local quilt shop recently and she said she likes YLI the best. She also said to use a #60 needle since the invisible is smaller than 50wt cotton. And not use invisible in the bobbin.

  12. #12
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,656
    Blog Entries
    2
    Nylon stretches so it breaks easily.

  13. #13
    Power Poster ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    12,130
    Blog Entries
    1
    you may also have to slow down abit using it...i had problems with it breaking constantly until i slowed down, it seems to not stretch as much if you slow your machine down...so slow but sure should get your banner done!

  14. #14
    Super Member SuziC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    3,708
    Quote Originally Posted by Deecee
    Do a search on invisible thread on this forum - you will find lots of advice.

    I found that laying the thread in a jar behind my machine helped to prevent it springing off the spool and tangling around the spool holder. Also loosening the top tension is necessary otherwise the thread seems to drag and stretch and breaks before you realise what is happening.

    I used it in the top only with 100% cotton in the bobbin.

    Good luck - Once you sort out what suits your machine you should be fine.
    That's a good idea about the jar....Thanks!

  15. #15
    Senior Member Bluphrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Porter, TX
    Posts
    530
    I took a machine quilting class, and the teacher suggested taping a safety pin to the back of the machine in two places -- where the spool would normally sit and then closer to the needle. The hole in the "wrong" end of the pin becomes your thread guide. Just tape the pin so that the hole is above the body of the machine and run the invisible thread through the hole in the safety pin, rather than using the thread quides on the machine. This keeps the thread from slipping off the thread guides, and it reduces stretching. Also, if your thread is on a cone, use one of those cone nets to help the thread come off the cone smoothly.

  16. #16
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,216
    I have never used invisible thread. Let us know how it turns out!

    Quote Originally Posted by chamby
    I am going to have to use invisible thread for the first time. I am hemming a hugh banner for some friends. There are so many colors because the banner is a picture of them. What brands are the best to use, will it work okay in my home sewing machine? Most of all how do you use this stuff? I have to have the banner finished by Thursday evening. So not much time for expermenting. Need quick help. Also I do not want to mess with the tension on my bobbin case. I did this one time and ended having to buy another one at $8 a pop.

  17. #17
    Super Member Deecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    3,707
    I forgot to add that I used poly not nylon and the jar I put the thread in was large enough for the spool to lay down and roll to unwind without running around in a tangle.

  18. #18
    Super Member chamby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Clemmons, NC
    Posts
    1,057
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluphrog
    I took a machine quilting class, and the teacher suggested taping a safety pin to the back of the machine in two places -- where the spool would normally sit and then closer to the needle. The hole in the "wrong" end of the pin becomes your thread guide. Just tape the pin so that the hole is above the body of the machine and run the invisible thread through the hole in the safety pin, rather than using the thread quides on the machine. This keeps the thread from slipping off the thread guides, and it reduces stretching. Also, if your thread is on a cone, use one of those cone nets to help the thread come off the cone smoothly.
    Wished I had seen this post earlier about the two pins. I will have to remember that one. I also discovered that you need to use a tall jar. this keeps the thread of the way better.

  19. #19
    Super Member chamby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Clemmons, NC
    Posts
    1,057
    Blog Entries
    1
    Yea, I am finally finished hemming the banner on all four sides. Only had the thread to know up on me twice. Thats when I discovered I needed to use the taller quart jar. I had to go really slow as well. It was not bad, but not my favorite thing to sew with. Also this thread is very expensive. I told my family they had better leave that one alone. thanks everyone for all of your wonderful advise. It sure saved me a lot of headaches.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.