Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Phases of quilt making

Which do you like doing the best? The cutting, block making, quilting the finished project. Sometimes i find i am only in the mood to cut fabric. Other times it's the construction of the top.
    What is you favorite part of making q quilt?

I enjoy the block making and sewing on the binding.

I kinda "get high" when I'm reaching the end of each stage. Like, I get all giddy when I have "almost everything" cut out. And, when I'm sewing the rows together. And when I'm serging around the edge to cut off the excess....etc, etc, etc...

I mostly enjoy the selecting of fabrics, cutting them out, piecing together the blocks and the quilt.
    My least favorite are the final pressing, the sandwiching and the quilting (I never know the best way to quilt a quilt)

Blog Entries
    Designing the quilt and picking out the fabrics from my stash would have to be the highest point.

np3
    Blog Entries
    I like every phase but I have times when I only want to cut, or maybe I only want to piece. So I usually have several projects going at one time so I can "feed my habit".

I like the design phase the best and then cutting.

EW EW I like it all, but not at the same time. I like what I'm doing at the moment. I tend to get bored easily and move on to another project. I have a mystery quilt I've worked on since July and I only have borders to put on. I miss calculated and the first border came up short. I'm trying to make a design adjustment. So I signed up for a sew along this long weekend and pulled fabrics for it (sort of a mystery also)this week. Was gone all day so I've got some of it started. Still haven't finished those borders. I like it all.

Kas
    Fondling the fabric! And when the finished quilt comes out of the dryer. Those are my favorite parts.

Blog Entries
    I love all of it except the binding. The quilting is probably my favorite. I also like to cut a lot. I really envy those of you that absolutely love binding. I wish I did, and probably would if I could sew by hand. I enjoyed embroidery immensely, but since my hand surgery my hands still go to sleep.

i like every aspect of quilting making from the original design process to seeing the finished product.

Blog Entries
    this post is a good example of why we (most of us) have more than one project going at a time!

Definitely coordinating the colors/fabrics for the block/quilt.

Blog Entries
    I enjoy sewing the blocks but seem to stall when it comes to putting them together to complete the top. I really need a design wall. Also, I'm not that confident with my FMQ so right now I'm not enjoying it.

Senior Member quilter on the eastern edge's Avatar
    I love the feeling of sewing the very last stitch in the binding. It gives me a feeling of accomplishment and pride in finishing yet another project to give as a gift or to use in my own home.

Power Poster
    I like doing the binding because that quilt is done and I can get on to another project.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Minda
    I enjoy the block making and sewing on the binding.
    Same here ... actually the binding is my very favorite. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
    I kinda "get high" when I'm reaching the end of each stage. Like, I get all giddy when I have "almost everything" cut out. And, when I'm sewing the rows together. And when I'm serging around the edge to cut off the excess....etc, etc, etc...
    This describes my feelings!

I really enjoy the piecing of the blocks. Sewing on the label is great too, since that's the last thing I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie
    this post is a good example of why we (most of us) have more than one project going at a time!
    I think you're right. I like all the phases, but at times i am just in the mood to do one or the other. Finishing is by far the best feeling though!

I enjoy every part of it. Picking the pattern I want to do, hunting for the fabric, cutting, piecing, backing & batting. ... But ironing that washed fabric before you start cutting is the pits! I just got 18 yds yesterday at Joanne's (for $50- super sale) and I washed and ironed it all today. Now my back is in knots. I usually don't iron all the fabric in one clip, but I want to start on this project tomorrow... so I had no choice.

I love piecing the quilt top but my favorite is the quilting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SuziC
    Which do you like doing the best? The cutting, block making, quilting the finished project. Sometimes i find i am only in the mood to cut fabric. Other times it's the construction of the top.
    What is you favorite part of making q quilt?
    My favorite part? Picking the pattern, picking the fabrics and sitting down and piecing the top together. My least favorite part? Quilting it and binding it. Maybe thats why I have 13 quilt tops waiting to be quilted!! :oops:

Blog Entries
    Im very new to quilting but not sewing. I hate cutting!!! Grrrr. I love the actual sewing part. I also really enjoy hand stiching. OHH i now hate sleeping!! Not that it takes me from quilting. Its the opposite!!! Im now dreaming of quilt paterns and fabrics. LOL I get more done in my sleep it seems(when i sleep).

I love sewing the blocks and then sewing them together so you begin to see the design ... I am still a fairly new quilter so I can't envision the final product in my mind yet. I don't like the cutting. I am still not an accurate cutter, but I know the importance of accuracy. I am relieved when I get the cutting down. I also still have a hard time picking out fabric ... it's that visualization thing again. I love quilting and am thrilled when I finish a quilt. To think ... I made that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast