Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Favorite Phases of quilt making

I like making the top and doing the binding. I really need a place to pin baste my quilts, since the local quilt shop closed; there isn't any place for me to do it.
    So I keep making tops

I love the search for the right fabrics and the planning stages. Second best I love the piecing each block. After that I like sewing the blocks together into the top. Cutting can be difficult for me so it's not my favorite thing to do, but I do like the good feeling of seeing the pieces accumulate ready for the piecing to start!! Sandwiching and quilting are very difficult for me, so I will either QAIG or tie.

My very favorite is selecting fabrics for a project. Next fav. is hand stitching the binding onto the back. Least fav. is the ironing & machine sewing the binding onto the front.

Put us all together & I think we would do well doing our favorite parts. There would be some great quilts completed at the end. :thumbup:

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I enjoy all stages of quilting,even though I have problems with binding.

Quote Originally Posted by SuziC
    Which do you like doing the best? The cutting, block making, quilting the finished project. Sometimes i find i am only in the mood to cut fabric. Other times it's the construction of the top.
    What is you favorite part of making q quilt?
    My favorite is putting on the binding. I find it very relaxing, and also its a great feeling to know you have almost finished a project. LOL

dreaming it up.

I think binding and as someone else stated getting the finished quilt out of the dryer.

Blog Entries
    I love the design phase the best. I will make dozens of graph paper mock-ups before I cut anything. If I can find a speedier way to sail through construction, I do, and that is a great feeling.

I love it all pretty much , I would love the quilting of them better if I had the FMQ foot are a walking foot, maybe someday
    :D

First of all I love quilting because there are no calories and it’s fat free… Second of all and best is the priceless look on the face of the person that I give it to… I really enjoy sewing and quilting.... its like therapy to me I just seem to lose myself in what am doing and forget my problems.

Hand Quilting is my favourite. It's easy to know because besides sewing the length of fabric togehter by hand and finishing the quilt with a knife edge it is all I have to do on a wholecloth!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I love it all, just wish cutting would not cause so much pain. God bless.

It still surprises me that my favorite part is the one I said, as a new quilter, I'd never do - the hand quilting. Even those times when it's just outline stitching, it's enjoyable and totally relaxing.

Least favorite - making the "sandwich" because I don't have the right space to do it.

I love, love picking out a pattern and fabrics. Cutting is good, as is sewing. After that it's a real effort to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by np3
    I like every phase but I have times when I only want to cut, or maybe I only want to piece. So I usually have several projects going at one time so I can "feed my habit".
    Yes, that best describes my thought processes as well.

Buying fabrics.
    Oodling and playing around making a design. (Or not. Just having fun playing...)
    Auditioning fabrics.
    Changing stuff around at every step as I make the quilt.
    Seeing how it takes shape. Agonising over stuff that isn't working the way I envisioned it - what to do, what to do...
    Unfolding a project I've put away for a while because I was no longer liking it... and finding it's beautiful after all.
    Stitching down binding, racing myself (excited, impatient now) along the final straight edge to the FINISH! line. :thumbup:

Yay! Done. That's one of my favorite moments, too.

Blog Entries
    THE BINDING!!! BECAUSE IT MEANS I'M DONE!!!YEA!!! but i really enjoy the whole process...well, cutting not so much, but everything else...yup, i like it all...but the best part is DONE!!!

Hey, I just found my least fasvorite thing. Reading the pattern wrong. I've made this pattern several times, and I guess I thought I knew everything about it. LOL on me. I know your not suppose to cut after 9 o'clock at night, but this was 9 A.M. Oh, well live and learn.

Blog Entries
    I like all phases. What I like best is once I start sewing. I have the design all done, the pieces are cut, I am ready to go. That is when things go the fastest for me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3