Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using Machingers for the first time (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-machingers-first-time-t70631.html)

purplefiend 10-19-2010 11:38 AM

[quote grann of 6]
I just wish they would decide where they are putting the thread cutter and have it in the same place on all the machines. Yesterday I was binding my last QFK and reached up to cut the thread and hit the start/stop button instead. I couldn't move fast enough to get the thing stopped. Luckily no damage to the quilt, but I will watch what I am doing from now on. The buttons are opposite on the Topaz, which I had been using a lot.[/quote]

If you step on the foot pedal it'll stop the machine too when you're using the start/stop button. I'm glad your quilt
wasn't damaged.
What's QFK?
Sharon W.

Kelela 10-19-2010 12:45 PM

What do Machingers look like?

Kelela

katybob 10-19-2010 12:48 PM

Kelela -- Look at the message from Grann of 6 on the first page of this thread.

Kelela 10-19-2010 12:58 PM

Katybob....thanks much for response on where to find a picture of them.

Kelela

danade 10-19-2010 04:29 PM

If you look for Machingers, be sure that's the very thing, in a smallish ziploc bac. They're not hot at all, and stay in one place on your hands. I turn my machine on and then put my Machingers on my hands before I pick up my fabric or my quilt. (No, I don't work for the company that makes Machingers--just a huge fan!)

Dana

Betty Ruth 10-19-2010 06:36 PM

Those gloves look big, therefore awkward. I have small hands.

danade 10-20-2010 01:06 PM

Machingers are very stretchy, so I'd think they'd fit just about anybody. They feel like a second skin to me--sometimes I forget they're on my hands when I get up from my sewing machine and get a drink of water, answer the door or whatever.

Dana

Nancy11442 10-22-2010 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
A couple weeks ago when my DDIL & I went to a "new for us LQS" my DDIL dropped a pair of these in my "to buy" stack. I still don't know why as she is not a quilter, but an enabler. Got home and forgot they were there. So since this is my day of planned mega accomplishment I decided to give these things a try on my QFK. Wow!! How much easier and faster it is. And I don't have to keep taking them off either to push buttons on the machine. My Viking Diamond has buttons for EVERYTHING, thread cutting, lock stitch, reverse, needle lift, etc. How awesome these gloves are!!! Just wanted you to know....

I resisted buy them for a long time bec I thought they were expensive. But finallly I broke down and they are the love of my quilting life!! I use them always and if I forget my arthritis lets me know I need to get them out. You are so right...they make quilting easier and free motion in particular is easier from the standpoint of moving the fabric easily.

Suzy 10-23-2010 03:46 AM

Nancy

So glad you tried them, they make life so much easier. Hope you get the chance to use a supreme slider too, as it makes all the difference in free motion quilting.

Good Luck

Suzy

Nancy11442 10-23-2010 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by Suzy
Nancy

So glad you tried them, they make life so much easier. Hope you get the chance to use a supreme slider too, as it makes all the difference in free motion quilting.

Good Luck

Suzy

OK...what's a supreme slider?? Purchase at a LQS? I did purchase a red "riing" thing that was supposed to make it easier to move the fabric, easier on arthritis, etc. It didn't do it for me....I think it was called a "halo"? Waste of $25. Please let me know about this supreme slider. Thanks.