Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using Muslin (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-muslin-t213635.html)

dd 02-13-2013 05:05 AM

So what is the difference between muslin and cotton fabric? Muslin is cotton and woven and bleached, sometimes.

reginalovesfabric 02-13-2013 05:38 AM

I bought Keepsake quilting's aged muslin I am going to hand embroidery snowmen, one of these days. I liked the quality and will buy it again

Weezy Rider 02-13-2013 06:03 AM

There is a permaprest muslin available. I like the stuff. I've made shirts out of it. Then there is this horrible "muslin" that's only good for doing trial sewing/fitting patterns. If you wash the stuff, you can't iron it.

helenquilt 02-13-2013 06:06 AM

I love the heavier muslin that comes in 90", 108" or 120". This way I don't have any seams in the lining. I get mine at JoAnns or the local quilt shop

Weenween 02-13-2013 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by normabeth (Post 5856054)
i see a lot of quilts that use white fabric as the background. Solid white fabric is hard to find, what are the pros and cons of using muslin in a quilt? Fabric.com has kona premium muslin bleached white 44" wide for $4.98 a yard, would this be quilt quality fabric?
Thanks
normabeth[table="width: 100%"]
<tbody>[tr]
[td][table="width: 100%"]
<tbody>[tr]
[td][/td]
[/tr]
</tbody>[/table]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr]
</tbody>[/table]

i love muslin for softness on my quilts have used reg cotton fab or colored sheets like muslin the best though just me cannot speak for anyone else.

HappyQuilter 02-13-2013 07:20 AM

Thanks for the hint about looking for the trademark - great suggestion!

Dragonomine 02-13-2013 07:59 AM

I buy a bolt of 108" muslin at a time (with a 40% off coupon). I use it for all my quilts. Have never had a bit of problem with it.

didi 02-13-2013 08:25 AM

I'm telling my age here, but when I first got married 43 some years ago, my MIL quilted and used muslin for the backing..she would wash it in bleach to whitning it and also would use ritz dye to color it the color she wanted. Of course, back then they didn't have as many different muslins, LOL

Geri B 02-13-2013 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Traditional Quilter (Post 5857065)
I use muslin a lot. There are several companies that make a good muslin Kaufman Kona, Moda Bella, Roc Lon. I would suggest that you use one that has no less than 60 threads in a square inch. Roc Lon makes a muslin that is 70 threads per square inch that I prefer when I hand quilt. I can get more stitches per inch with that muslin. Unfortunately, the manufacturers don't put the thread count on the bolt but you can research on line. Kaufman Kona and Moda Bellas have a 60 threadcount. Joann fabrics carries Roc Lon, but it does NOT have a 70 thread count. I don't think it is even 60. I buy my Roc Lon on line.

Yes, I too, use RocLon muslin.......when washed it feels like marshmallow....so soft...........I use this, either white or natural on all my quilted things.........and when needing white or natural on front, there too!!!!

Valerie Ann 02-13-2013 10:24 AM

I just bought some premium muslin at Joanne's. It was $12.99 a yard--108 inches. Fells wonderful and with the 50% off coupon it became reasonable for the back of a quilt.