Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using a Panel to make a quilt - how do you decide on a pattern? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-panel-make-quilt-how-do-you-decide-pattern-t173580.html)

raedar63 12-29-2011 03:49 PM

I too have some panels, looking forward to some great ideas here!

Anna from Oz 12-29-2011 03:54 PM

Thanks so much for asking this question. I have been stumped for days about this. I have a couple of Beatrix Potter panels to make up a cot quilt - and I am stumped too. I thought using a panel would be so "fast", but it's what to add around it all that has me stumped. Then there is the sourcing of getting the fabric to do so. I went a bit made thinking this would be a quick way to sew quilts for the grandkids, so I bought a lot of panels..........thus I am following this thread very keenly.

Question for DogHouseMom If you have at least 4 of the same panel you can "fracture" it.
Do you mean if you have 4 panels?? I would only have one panel. However, I think I understand about fracturing it - cutting out sections to use as blocks????
Regards,
Anna Australia

Anna from Oz 12-29-2011 04:00 PM

I took Dunster's link to AllPeopleQuilt, and then typed in Panels in the search bar and this menu of quilt patterns made from panels came up

http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/search...&cof=FORID%3A9
Might be something here to help me too.
Regards,
Anna Australia

deemail 12-29-2011 05:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here's something i did when a small quilting group had a block swap and we were all to use all the blocks... i like the way they came together and blend disparate types of blocks...and it meant that you get 2 blocks from each 1 you have, so spreading them out is easier... it will tie together even better after quilting...

this would work for a panel as well... and if there are 5 of something? remember the outside corners and center of a 9 patch use 5 squares... put some alternate plain blocks in the other spaces and you're good....then just reverse the process if there are only 4....

momto5 12-29-2011 06:03 PM

I've used panels in a couple of quilts in the past 5-6 months; one a specialty quilt and the other a baby quilt. Both were fine with the addition of some borders and sashing.

FroggyinTexas 12-29-2011 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltgirl26 (Post 4820433)
I have a ton of panels that I have bought over the years and I am having a hard time figuring out how to turn them into quilts. I am so used to using a pattern that I find it hard to figure out what to do with the panel. Often times the panels have different size squares on them and sometimes they come in odd numbers. For example I may have a panel that has three or five images and I struggle with the layout of an odd number of squares etc. I would really rather "cut" the panel out instead of leaving it whole so do you have any suggestions or websites you use? Thank you in advance for your replies.

I have two book on using panels. The first is called Clever Quilts and the 2d is More Clever Quilts. I think the author is Sue Dissmore Teagarden. If you will Google the titles, Amazon has them. You can also Google Using Panels in Quilts. I love panels and these books gave me all kinds of good ideas. froggyintexas

QuiltnLady1 12-29-2011 09:41 PM

I have seen convergence quilts done from panels -- and they were wonderful.

I too have problems with Panels, but usually because I have problems squaring them up.

Blue's quilting mama 12-29-2011 09:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I made the back of a quilt using a panel and scrappy around it...will try attaching a picture of it.

Quiltaddict 12-29-2011 10:55 PM

Spotlight is a great pattern to use for panels. Works with any size panel.

Sewhappytoquilt 12-30-2011 06:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Funny you should ask. I just quilted a panel for the first time. I spent the entire time trying to quilt it to make it "look" like it was pieced together and not a whole panel. It looks cute on the back of my couch, but if I ever purchase another panel, I will cut it apart and add my own sashing and borders.