Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using a Panel to make a quilt - how do you decide on a pattern? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-panel-make-quilt-how-do-you-decide-pattern-t173580.html)

Quiltgirl26 12-29-2011 06:56 AM

Using a Panel to make a quilt - how do you decide on a pattern?

I have a ton of panels that I have bought over the years and I am having a hard time figuring out how to turn them into quilts. I am so used to using a pattern that I find it hard to figure out what to do with the panel. Often times the panels have different size squares on them and sometimes they come in odd numbers. For example I may have a panel that has three or five images and I struggle with the layout of an odd number of squares etc. I would really rather "cut" the panel out instead of leaving it whole so do you have any suggestions or websites you use? Thank you in advance for your replies.

grammysharon 12-29-2011 07:31 AM

Cut the panel up into squares and use other fabric with it to make whatever size square you want or need!! Then you will have a quilt of your design, not their design!!!

jad1044 12-29-2011 07:31 AM

Mainly that is what I wind up doing if it is many blocks within one panel - and fit in other blocks between the blocks that I cut out of the panel.. If it is 5 big pictures in teh panel - cut them apart - center the one and make the others like cornerstones to the center one and make blocks of other fabric to fit in between the blocks. Depending on the original block pattern - you might just do like rail fence between teh blocks of all teh colors in the blocks - to outline the center one - and if you want it bigger - then do another design around the entire thing - many ways to use these; I find many make great baby quilts or throws... good luck and have a great time figuring new ways to use these.

dunster 12-29-2011 08:18 AM

This site gives lots of great examples for using panels - http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/techni...jects_ss1.html and if you do a search you'll find lots of other creative ideas. However it all comes down to your panel, the number of separate design elements in it, their sizes and number. It is a headache for me when I try to use a panel, and yet some of them are so cute that I can't resist them. I usually turn to the web or books and magazines for inspiration, and then I use EQ7 to finalize a design. Good luck!

zennia 12-29-2011 08:36 AM

I try to find blocks that fit the theme of the panel. I just did one with a fall theme. The blocks were houses tress etc. I made sunflower blocks large ones and smaller ones to fit where i needed them. I also made pumpkins. Fil in spaces with HST'S using the same fabrics used making other blocks. It was a lot of fun and creative to do.

Sandee 12-29-2011 01:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Quiltgirl26 (Post 4820433)
I have a ton of panels that I have bought over the years and I am having a hard time figuring out how to turn them into quilts. I am so used to using a pattern that I find it hard to figure out what to do with the panel. Often times the panels have different size squares on them and sometimes they come in odd numbers. For example I may have a panel that has three or five images and I struggle with the layout of an odd number of squares etc. I would really rather "cut" the panel out instead of leaving it whole so do you have any suggestions or websites you use? Thank you in advance for your replies.

Here is one of mine where I cut out the panels. Maybe it will give you an idea.

DogHouseMom 12-29-2011 02:02 PM

If you have at least 4 of the same panel you can "fracture" it. I'm working on one now. It's probably the only way I'll ever use a panel.

Sandee 12-29-2011 02:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Quiltgirl26 (Post 4820433)

Here's another one I found with panels.

Aubrey'sQuiltingCreations 12-29-2011 02:56 PM

I took many of my panels and used them as is and quilted them this way for wall hangings I hang over my windows for the seasons as they are long and narrow and with limited wall space it works great for decor in my house. After many of seen these in my home I now sell them as people kept asking me for these. The really like them as they are affordable when comparing to a large seasonal quilt and they are lightweight so they simply hang with just a couple of paperclips from the curtains or blinds which are already up. Also if they are small enough I have cut them apart and made table runners for my various stands to use for coordinating seasonal decor and if the designs are small enough even can use them for mug rugs. Horizontal running ones I have used for back of couch covers and bed runners when adding some borders to each side. Also with just adding a couple of borders to the sides of a vertical one they make great baby/childrens quilts.

irishrose 12-29-2011 03:36 PM

I just finished one with five different panels. No two were the same size. I just varied my sashing strips to make everything fit and made my filler blocks the same way. I tied it all together with a flying geese border. I just saw a picture of it and there's only one thing I'd change, but it's too late now.