Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   using Retayne in high efficiency washer? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-retayne-high-efficiency-washer-t85969.html)

QuiltingQueen 12-30-2010 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by MaggieLou
Sorry, but I have a HE front loader and love it. It has a soak cycle and you can add clothes during the inital wash. It has a light that signals how long you can add clothes. You can also stop or pause it just by pushing the pause button. Never used Retayne so can't speak to that.

I have to agree... I love my front loader!

Decoratenu 12-30-2010 10:55 AM

Jane, Thanks so much for researching Retayne in an HE washer. I'd hesitate to use any chemicals in my front-loader -- just never would trust to do it. I've had my Dark RED front-loader HE set for nearly 3 yrs & LOVE, LOVE, LOVE 'em. I'm only 5' tall, so the pedestals mean I never have to bend over -- what a back-saver! We used front-loaders (much small versions) when stationed in Europe & they always got our clothes cleaner (longer cycles). I find my clothes now have fewer wrinkles & I have separate steam & soak cycles, too.

TexasSunshine 12-30-2010 11:10 AM

I love my top loader washer. We bought new washer and dryer when we built our house 7 years ago. I like the efficiency of it and the fact it wrings the clothes out so good and takes less drying time. Mine soaks and I can stop the cycle to add something else by opening the soap dispenser which unlocks the door and starts the washer by closing the dispenser.

alageeps 12-30-2010 11:59 AM

I had to look up retayne I had no idea what you were talking ab out. Everyone that I know that has a front loader loves it. I plan on getting one when my top loader goes. I would not add any chemical to my material to retain the colors. Let them age as they would, I always wash in cold water and use the color catcher to pick up any dyes..

Prism99 12-30-2010 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by alageeps
I would not add any chemical to my material to retain the colors. Let them age as they would, I always wash in cold water and use the color catcher to pick up any dyes..

Retayne is for setting unset dyes; it does not prevent fabric dyes from aging normally. Basically Retayne is used on "bleeder" fabrics to prevent the dye from bleeding all over the other fabrics in a quilt. Heavy bleeding fabrics are rare, thank goodness, but if you happen to include one in a quilt then cold water and color catchers may well not be enough to prevent damage to the quilt. Retayne is used only on individual fabrics before they are put into a quilt; it should never be used on a finished quilt, as it would permanently set any bleeds.

Many chemicals are used to set dyes into fabrics. It's just that sometimes factories make mistakes. Retayne offers the quilter a home opportunity to set dyes into a fabric when the factory has not done it correctly.

BellaBoo 12-30-2010 01:51 PM

Last New Year's Day my washer and dryer broke at the same time. I got a new set and decided against the front loaders. Everyone that I know that has the front loaders, the washer stinks to high heaven after a year. The salesman said I'd have to do special things to keep the door seal from leaking, mildew from building up etc. I will not pamper an appliance. I want to turn it on and be done with it. If it breaks after a few years I don't want to wail about how much I paid for it but think well I got my money's worth. I use the soak cycle too much to not have a top loader. I soak my fabric and drain without agitation, great for small cuts of fabric.

nativetexan 12-30-2010 02:18 PM

I've heard that and never want one. not until they fix that fact. i soak things a lot.

cmagee84 12-30-2010 02:20 PM

I see there is are mixed feelings about the HE front loader. I am not thrilled with mine.
The pkg for the Color Catcher said to put it in a lingere bag when using in a HE washer. Haven't tried it yet, but will.

mrs_uncle_fuzzy 12-30-2010 03:53 PM

I think the biggest mistake I have ever made with a washing machine was buying a front loader you can't even stop it and open the door to throw in that darn sock you found under the couch right after you started the wash. I have told my husband that I want a second washer top loader so I can soak things and, or stop and open in mid cycle, I told him a used one would be fine. He seems to think I am out of my mind, but I have complained so much about the new washer he has caved and is looking on craigslist for a top loader for me.

Rann 12-30-2010 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by tjradj
Just my two cents worth - I already hate reaching into my dryer because I'm very tall, the last thing I need is to bend over to put stuff in/out the washer too. Regardless of the pedestal bases, they're still not high enough.
I'll keep my top loaders too.

How tall is very tall? I am 6 feet and love my HE washer and dryer on pedestals. I put Retayne in with my detergent and also used a color catcher and it worked out fine.