Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   using starch (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-starch-t195209.html)

ranger 07-20-2012 07:57 AM

using starch

I plan to join some strips into strip sets.
I want to use liquid starch.
I am concerned about getting starch on surrounding surfaces.
Would appreciate some pointers on how to do the best job with the least mess.
Thank you.

Deborahlees 07-20-2012 08:00 AM

OK silly question, why are you using liquid starch instead of just spray starch ?????

QuiltnNan 07-20-2012 08:07 AM

when I use liquid starch, i dip the fabric in it and spin it 'dampish' the way my mother did it when i was small, if you are doing a small quantity, a salad spinner does the trick. when i'm working on my Dear Jane blocks with those tiny pieces, i paint the starch on with an artist's paintbrush.

EasyPeezy 07-20-2012 08:43 AM

I use a large rectangular plastic tray to "paint" my strips with starch. I do it over the
laundry sink. I do it like I'm making lasagna, just keep layering and painting. However
I so separate the dark from lights in case of bleeding. After starching all the strips I
put them in ziploc bags, remove air and refrigerate overnight. This helps distributes
the starch evenly. Next day I remove the strips and blot them in towels then press.
I use a muslin cloth over the strips to keep my iron clean.

Lori S 07-20-2012 08:56 AM

I do use the submerge method or paint with a brush. I hang mine to dry prior to ironing.

ranger 07-20-2012 09:02 AM

[QUOTE=Deborahlees;5380009]OK silly question, why are you using liquid starch instead of just spray starch ?????

My plan is to do Hidden Wells pattern from this site.
http://moosestashquilting.blogspot.c...-tutorial.html
She says the liquid starch works best for her.
I have never used starch in any projects, so I was just going by what she wrote there.
Is spray starch just as good?

CoyoteQuilts 07-20-2012 10:55 AM

The liquid starch bottle you see in the picture is just a concentrate of starch that you can dilute down and put in your own spray bottle. I use it all the time. You can do all of the above tricks with it, but I just dilute it down to what ever strength I want---usually 3 or 4 parts water to 1 part starch. Doesn't matter what the portion is-- 1 cup, a cap full, or a glass you happen to grab. Of course you can use it straight out of the bottle, but then you would be cutting a pretty stiff piece of fabric LOL! When you spray and iron right away you can get the white flakes if the starch isn't soaked into the fabric and it can stick up the bottom of you iron. I just spray and iron-to lazy to wait :).... The more starch on the fabric the stiffer it will be.

She is using it to help with the edges and give you a crisp fabric to work with. You do not have to use it if you don't want to. I use starch because the fabric is easier to handle and if you have a bias edge it doesn't stretch out as much with handling.

Good luck to on your new project!

ube quilting 07-20-2012 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees (Post 5380009)
OK silly question, why are you using liquid starch instead of just spray starch ?????

I make my own starch so as not to throw more cans into a landfill. Enough said!

ube quilting 07-20-2012 11:02 AM

First I cut fabric into managable sizes like yard or half yard cuts.

I soak material in a bucket of liquid starch.

squeeze till damp and toss into a laundry basket .

hang on clothsline, outside till damp dry.

bring inside and iron dry.

It works great!
peace

SmickChick 07-20-2012 12:04 PM

[QUOTE=EasyPeezy;5380080] After starching all the strips I
put them in ziploc bags, remove air and refrigerate overnight. This helps distributes
the starch evenly. Next day I remove the strips and blot them.../QUOTE] Boy does that take me back to my childhood, and loving memories of my mother!!!