Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: using starch

Blog Entries

using starch

I plan to join some strips into strip sets.
    I want to use liquid starch.
    I am concerned about getting starch on surrounding surfaces.
    Would appreciate some pointers on how to do the best job with the least mess.
    Thank you.
    ranger
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Life...you muddle your way through it and then you die!

OK silly question, why are you using liquid starch instead of just spray starch ?????

Blog Entries
    when I use liquid starch, i dip the fabric in it and spin it 'dampish' the way my mother did it when i was small, if you are doing a small quantity, a salad spinner does the trick. when i'm working on my Dear Jane blocks with those tiny pieces, i paint the starch on with an artist's paintbrush.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I use a large rectangular plastic tray to "paint" my strips with starch. I do it over the
    laundry sink. I do it like I'm making lasagna, just keep layering and painting. However
    I so separate the dark from lights in case of bleeding. After starching all the strips I
    put them in ziploc bags, remove air and refrigerate overnight. This helps distributes
    the starch evenly. Next day I remove the strips and blot them in towels then press.
    I use a muslin cloth over the strips to keep my iron clean.

I do use the submerge method or paint with a brush. I hang mine to dry prior to ironing.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Deborahlees;5380009]OK silly question, why are you using liquid starch instead of just spray starch ?????

My plan is to do Hidden Wells pattern from this site.
    http://moosestashquilting.blogspot.c...-tutorial.html
    She says the liquid starch works best for her.
    I have never used starch in any projects, so I was just going by what she wrote there.
    Is spray starch just as good?
    ranger
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The liquid starch bottle you see in the picture is just a concentrate of starch that you can dilute down and put in your own spray bottle. I use it all the time. You can do all of the above tricks with it, but I just dilute it down to what ever strength I want---usually 3 or 4 parts water to 1 part starch. Doesn't matter what the portion is-- 1 cup, a cap full, or a glass you happen to grab. Of course you can use it straight out of the bottle, but then you would be cutting a pretty stiff piece of fabric LOL! When you spray and iron right away you can get the white flakes if the starch isn't soaked into the fabric and it can stick up the bottom of you iron. I just spray and iron-to lazy to wait .... The more starch on the fabric the stiffer it will be.

She is using it to help with the edges and give you a crisp fabric to work with. You do not have to use it if you don't want to. I use starch because the fabric is easier to handle and if you have a bias edge it doesn't stretch out as much with handling.

Good luck to on your new project!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborahlees View Post
    OK silly question, why are you using liquid starch instead of just spray starch ?????
    I make my own starch so as not to throw more cans into a landfill. Enough said!
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    First I cut fabric into managable sizes like yard or half yard cuts.

I soak material in a bucket of liquid starch.

squeeze till damp and toss into a laundry basket .

hang on clothsline, outside till damp dry.

bring inside and iron dry.

It works great!
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

[QUOTE=EasyPeezy;5380080] After starching all the strips I
    put them in ziploc bags, remove air and refrigerate overnight. This helps distributes
    the starch evenly. Next day I remove the strips and blot them.../QUOTE] Boy does that take me back to my childhood, and loving memories of my mother!!!

Boy does that take me back to my childhood, and loving memories of my mother!!!

////////////////////////
    Me too when sometimes there was more rolled up ironing in the refrigerator than there was food!

Blog Entries
    I don't fret over the best starch anymore. I have used every starch there is from making my own, every brand of spray, to diluting washable school glue (which isn't a glue but a heavy starch), to sizing, to wrinkle reducer, to powder you boil and my findings are they all work the same to make the fabric firmer. So I use the simplest way to starch and what ever brand is on sale. Right now it's Bounce ironing spray I bought a lot of when it was a special buy. For super firm finish, I saturate the fabric with any type and let it dry, use a steam iron and have fabric that is stiff as cardboard.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborahlees View Post
    I find spray starch to be more messy what with the overspray, etc. That goes for the canned as well as the kind I make myself and put into a spray bottle. You also get better coverage by dipping or brushing.

Blog Entries
    I would like to thank all those that replied.

Seems like the issue with spray bottles is the overspray and mess.
    There is a good chance that some of the spray will get on surrounding areas.
    The dip/paint is extra work and I am a lazy person. hehehe.
    Guess I'll try the spray stuff for now.
    I am so hesitant about using starch because, in our first house, we had a problem with silverfish.
    I DO NOT want to have to deal with that again!
    I read that silverfish are attracted to starch.

Thanks again for the info.
    I can always count on this board for help.
    ranger

I use Mary Ellen's Best Press. It's a starch alternative, doesn't leave a residue, so it wouldn't attract silverfish.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I plan to join some strips into strip sets.
    I want to use liquid starch.
    I am concerned about getting starch on surrounding surfaces.
    Would appreciate some pointers on how to do the best job with the least mess.
    Thank you.
    I use a squirt bottle for my liquid starch (diluted 1:1 - spray can is more expensive, can not be diluted and not great for the atmosphere) but I have an old cardboard box I call my "paintbooth" like for painting cars, put the fabric pieces in and spray into the box. Only took me 2 yrs of cleaning up starch spray to figure that out. For yardage, I dip it in diluted starch.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    Happyquiltmom and Kitsie....thanks for the info.

Kitsie, the box is a great idea!
    ranger

Power Poster
    I think it was ckcowl who suggested ironing a piece of freezer paper over your ironing surface to protect it from fusibles and starch. I thought it was a great idea.

if you are doing the hidden wells pattern you will have fun this is like my 5 or 6th hidden wells quilt. I am working on this pattern right now. If you can cut your own strips from starched fabric. that is what I do. I use the liquid starch also because it seems cheaper to me. I also let my starched fabric get almost completely dry. if you are using precut strips then you need to be very very careful when you starch them. using a salad spinner to "wring" them out would be a good idea and then hang dry them.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sahm4605 View Post
    if you are doing the hidden wells pattern you will have fun this is like my 5 or 6th hidden wells quilt. I am working on this pattern right now. If you can cut your own strips from starched fabric. that is what I do. I use the liquid starch also because it seems cheaper to me. I also let my starched fabric get almost completely dry. if you are using precut strips then you need to be very very careful when you starch them. using a salad spinner to "wring" them out would be a good idea and then hang dry them.
    Thank you for the help.
    I am using my own fabric. I plan to spray starch a few pieces of fabric and then cut into strips to see how it works.
    The HW pattern looks like fun but I have such a terrible habit of starting something and then seeing something other pattern that I like. Then I'm off to try that one! No wonder I wound up with so many UFOs. I am happy to say those UFOs are now mostly FOs, so I may stick with the HW one......plus my sampler blocks. I am hand quilting the Sampler blocks and then joining blocks/sashing with the Quilt-as -you-go method. Anyway that's the plan.
    Thanks again for posting.
    ranger