Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: saggy wallhanging

Blog Entries

saggy wallhanging

I made my first wall hangings and I really didn't have a clue to what I was doing. I put a pocket rod on the back and a dowel in it, but the top of the wall hanging is too droopy. I gave it to my dad for Father's Dad and I was appalled that it looked so bad when I saw it at his house yesterday!!!

Blog Entries
    Does the dowel run across the whole top? Did you spray starch it? Just a couple of thoughts.

Blog Entries
    The dowel runs across the whole top, but I think it's just too low.

Two things I've done are to sew a couple of the little white plastic o-rings on the back and nailing small finish nails onto which to hang them. I've also used regular straight pins hammered through the quilt and into the wall.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

I attach my hanging sleeve right under the binding. As a matter of fact, I baste it on, raw edge of sleeve matching raw edge of wall hanging, then the sleeve gets sewn on to the wall hanging as I sew on the binding. The binding is then hand sewn on. Once completed, I pin the sleeve down so it doesn't move as I whip stitch the bottom of the sleeve onto the wall hanging Maybe you could get it back and sew on a new sleeve on the top of the wall hanging's back.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sandyms View Post
    I attach my hanging sleeve right under the binding. As a matter of fact, I baste it on, raw edge of sleeve matching raw edge of wall hanging, then the sleeve gets sewn on to the wall hanging as I sew on the binding. The binding is then hand sewn on. Once completed, I pin the sleeve down so it doesn't move as I whip stitch the bottom of the sleeve onto the wall hanging Maybe you could get it back and sew on a new sleeve on the top of the wall hanging's back.
    this is the way i do it as well. if using a string or ribbon on the dowel, though, it will show while hanging... so have to use a coordinated ribbon. otherwise, one has to use nails or pushpins in the wall at each end of the dowel
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

The sewn top of the sleeve, especially if it has a pleat, should be slightly below the binding seam so that when the rod is in place, nothing shows on the front.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I would try stapling the quilt to the wall. I always hang my wall hangings this way and the staples make such a small hole you can hardly see them. I usually staple in the seam of the binding and they are barely visible. Especially if you have problems with it lying flat. You can staples all 4 sides if necessary.

You could sew a soda tab on the droopy part and use a small nail or hook to attach to wall. I recently did that with an oddly shaped wall hanging and it worked great.
    Donna

I always make sure my sleeve has a pleat in it, as the rod needs to have some place to live. and always all the way across the top just below the binding.......

Another thought, I have been looking at a quilt hanging system available on ebay that does not require a sleeve. I thought these were very interesting......
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quilt-Hanger...item51947f2099

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I think you could just ditch the dowel and use straight pins and pin it to your dad's wall. I have wall hangings without sleeves that I've pinned to my walls and they look just fine and the pins leave no big holes in the quilts.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

To hang my wall hangings I make two squares (about 3 or 4 inches), fold them diagonally, and stitch them to the top corners of the back of the hanging as I put the binding on. Then I can cut a small dowel and insert it in the two corners and hang it from that. It has always worked great for me. You might want to baste them in before you add the binding so you don't have to worry about the stitching catching them just right.

Blog Entries
    Here's what I do for wall hangings.

after quilting and before adding binding

Measure width of WH. Example 20"wide. Divide in half = 10".

Cut two 10" squares and press diagonally in half.

Line the raw edges of each folded, pressed square on the upper corners of the back of the WH.

Baste the raw edges to the WH with 1/8" seam allowance.

Add your binding as usual.

Now you have two triangle pockets in the upper corners of the WH.

Measure a piece of sturdy cardboard as wide as the opening between the triangles and as deep or tall.

Slide the cardboard into the pockets, place the WH where you want to hang it and slide your hand into each pocket with a tack to push through the cardboard and into the wall. WH stays nice and flat and flush to the wall with no dowel bump.

Easy, peasy
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I'm guessing from your description that you did the loop tabs at the top with a dowel through them rather than the rod pocket on the wallhanging itself???
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

Blog Entries
    if your dowel is too thin, it can bend. get a larger diameter one or a flat yard stick maybe.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Quote Originally Posted by Deborahlees View Post
    I always make sure my sleeve has a pleat in it, as the rod needs to have some place to live. and always all the way across the top just below the binding.......

Another thought, I have been looking at a quilt hanging system available on ebay that does not require a sleeve. I thought these were very interesting......
    Wow, these look like they'd work good!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I use that kind of hanger and sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.

Blog Entries
    Wow, you are so awesome!! I guess "Saggy" isn't the right word, just the top edge flops down. I will get it taken care of next time I'm there by attaching something to the corners to hang it on. I'm glad this is a fix that I don't have to bring it home and use the sewing machine! I can do it right there!

thanks!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for that tip. I would have never thought of a soda tab, on for no traditional square wall hanging that would be perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Deborahlees View Post

Those are neat. If you purchase them, please post your "review".

did you do a sleeve? sometimes a stiff muslin sleeve will do the trick!

Blog Entries
    Sometimes putting a sleeve with a dowel running through it on the BOTTOM helps.
    every cloud has a silver lining but sometimes it is hard to get to the mint

I glued my avatar quilt to the wall with a hot glue gun! I used an old sheet on the back so it doesn't need to be seen. I made another quilt that looks terrible hanging. I'm thinking I didn't use a wide enough rod for the pocket, or maybe it's not squared up. I like the ideas here. I tried pinning through it, moving the pins around, but it still sags. I'm wondering if attaching it to something hard like masonite or other thin board would work better?
    :-)
    CAS

I did a wall hanging that was on point, so had to add dowel rods in little triangular pockets on all four sides to get it to hang right. It worked really well to attach the triangular pockets by stitching in the ditch of the binding. I then used a single little round plastic ring at the top for hanging.
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

It sounds like the rod pocket is too low. You can either add a new one that is right below the binding, OR, buy cafe curtain clips. These are rings that have a little clamp. You can hang these on the dowel and use the clamps to hold up the quilt. I do this all the time because I hate putting on the quilt sleeve.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Arlene

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast