Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using up scraps (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-up-scraps-t146932.html)

amma 08-22-2011 07:29 AM

But you can use that bolt for more scrappy quilts too :D:D:D

ptquilts 08-22-2011 07:37 AM

I love that "might as well buy the bolt"!!! Go ahead, you can always use white.

sunflower126 08-22-2011 07:59 AM

Well just look at the money you saved by using the pieces that you did have. I know what you mean though. I made a baby quilt and tote from scraps but ended up having to buy the lining and the quilt backing. My first intention was to buy fabric on line and that was going to cost a whole lot more. But I did save my not having to buy a quarter of a yard of 10 or so fabrics and only use a little square-creating more scraps. LOL

leatheflea 08-22-2011 08:35 AM

Well I bought the bolt of white on white! And 4 yards of a border fabric...well it was pretty and I needed it, I did, otherwise I would spend to much time piecing scraps and I wanted this top done yesterday. And I got 2 yards for orders due on friday, and the new Fons and porter mag. All less than $100. By the way you girls aren't helping my addiction!

Wagoza 08-22-2011 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
. Kinda defeats the whole reason for making the quilt. Might as well just buy a whole bolt with Joanns half off. No matter how hard I try to be a good girl the universe and the powers that be have another plan....I like it!

No, no, no... not bad... just think, you have used up the pink for a good cause and now... well... ok, you can't be all good.

Annaquilts 08-22-2011 08:40 AM

Trade with people on the board? I have done that before.

I do find I have many FQ but then end up short on basics like black, white, backing, borders and batting. Now I am learning to bulk buy some of those when i can get a fair deal.

leatheflea 08-22-2011 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by wishfulthinking
I kinda feel your pain. I thought I had a fairly decent stash and decided it was time to just sew it all up & get it out of here. Well, then I start trying to coordinate some blocks and it seems like I really don't have all I need & I need to shop some more! Very frustrating!

Same here, I would buy things I liked instead of things that matched. Now when I buy I make sure I buy a collection or fabrics that match right then. No less than 2 yards each. I keep them stacked together with the pattern I want to make tucked inside. Does that mean I use it for that pattern, No, but It reminds me of what in the world was I thinking!

PABerard 08-22-2011 09:01 AM

You have the right state of mind... and heart :thumbup:

Rose Marie 08-22-2011 09:13 AM

At least it was white. Try matching any other color.

newbee3 08-22-2011 09:22 AM

isn't there some way to incorporate the cream tan it would look good with the pinks and the whites