Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using white in a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-white-quilt-t123187.html)

ChristinaHall 05-15-2011 02:13 PM

My computer is acting up and I can not get the pictures to post. I am working on a WV quilt. I have 2 fabrics that have West Virginia on them. The white fabric has WV, helmets & basketball.

The blue WV fabric already has squares on it so cutting it for my large square is going to waste a lot of the fabric.

I did find a solid navy blue that I could add to the quilt. I really hope this finally post:-)

MTS 05-15-2011 02:30 PM

Don't preview your message before you post. You lose any attached pictures.

And it has been taking a bit longer to upload pictures today, so it might not be your computer.

We're patient. ;) ;)

ChristinaHall 05-15-2011 03:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i hope this works. try #56:-)

ChristinaHall 05-15-2011 03:44 PM

FINALLY MY PICTURE IS UP:-) the navy blue u see I have not cut yet. I was wanting to see what u guys thought I should do first. I have already made all my 4 blocks.

Pinkiris 05-15-2011 03:45 PM

That navy blue works WAY better than white would, in my opinion. I like what you're doing. It looks great. Your nephew should love it.

I second the motion on the Color Catchers in the wash.

Sue

MTS 05-15-2011 03:49 PM

YAY! Pictures!

I like the navy much better than white.
And I like the blocks made out of the WV block fabric.

The mix of the 3 different blocks is fabulous. You could make some 4 patches with the white print and navy fabric, or some with the navy and yellow.

But it's fine if you just keep the 3 you have already. It's just perfect for a college kid.

Your nephew is going to love it!

ChristinaHall 05-15-2011 03:50 PM

I don't have a lot of the navy blue but I did wash,dry & iron it. What about the other blue with the WV in it? Do u think I should cut them the way I have and waste a lot of the fabric doing it?

MTS 05-15-2011 03:54 PM

I don't know how much you have and how big you want the quilt.
But, honestly, I really, really like that WVblock fabric.

If you cut it carefully, you can always use the leftover squares mixed in with whatever leftovers you have and put it on the back.

So what if they're not perfect squares with the pattern. The colors and logos will still bring the theme over to the back.

Will that give you enough fabric to make the size you want?

ChristinaHall 05-15-2011 03:54 PM

I have another another ? I changed my 2 1/2 stripped to 3 1/2 so what size does that make my large squares?

MTS 05-15-2011 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by ChristinaHall
I have another another ? I changed my 2 1/2 stripped to 3 1/2 so what size does that make my large squares?

You mean for your 4patches?

If you CUT the strips 3.5" wide, then the 4patch blocks will FINISH at 6".

So you need to cut the larger plain squares 6.5".

Make sense?