Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using white in a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-white-quilt-t123187.html)

Dina 05-15-2011 04:04 PM

I think the blue looks really good. I'd go with that, if I were you. By the way, I use white all the time in quilts. I've never had any trouble with it. I like the look, but I know others don't. That is why this is such a great passion.....anything goes. :)

ChristinaHall 05-15-2011 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by MTS

Originally Posted by ChristinaHall
I have another another ? I changed my 2 1/2 stripped to 3 1/2 so what size does that make my large squares?

You mean for your 4patches?

If you CUT the strips 3.5" wide, then the 4patch blocks will FINISH at 6".

So you need to cut the larger plain squares 6.5".

Make sense?

I did cut my strips 3.5 but they came out at 6 1/4. Wouldn't I want my large square the same size as my finished four patch?

I have over 50 4 patch squares done and there is no way I have enough of the blue WV fabric or the navy blue I found. I bought that fabric at a quilt show but I may be able to find some at Parkersburg Quilting here. I do however have that white no one thinks I should use along with a lot more of the gold that I made my 4 patches from.

MTS 05-15-2011 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by ChristinaHall
I did cut my strips 3.5 but they came out at 6 1/4. Wouldn't I want my large square the same size as my finished four patch?

If you are all done with your 4patches, and they all mostly came out to 6.25", then by all means cut your squares 6.25" and it all should go together well.

But you should know that 4Patch should have come out to 6.5" UNFINISHED. So after you're done with this quilt, you should do some checking to see where something is off - is it in the cutting? in the sewing? in the pressing? It could be one or a little bit of each.

Very smart of you to wait to cut the larger patches. ;-) Otherwise, you would have been struggling throughout the whole construction to get 6.25" blocks to fit next 6.5" blocks. Not fun.

I have over 50 4 patch squares done and there is no way I have enough of the blue WV fabric or the navy blue I found. I bought that fabric at a quilt show but I may be able to find some at Parkersburg Quilting here. I do however have that white no one thinks I should use along with a lot more of the gold that I made my 4 patches from.
Ok, if that's what you have, that's what you have.

If you want to / can get more of the navy, fabulous.

If you have to use the white, then use it. At least with more of the yellow and both navy fabrics, the white won't be so pronounced.

And it's not that it would be horrible. I just think it's more ....I don't know masculine.
I know that sounds ridiculous, but really, white? - in a college guy's dorm? ;-)

Now that I've grossed myself out....

I'm sure you'll make it work. Post some progress pictures here. ;-)

MTS 05-15-2011 05:16 PM

Wait, let's do some math.

If the blocks are supposed to finish around 6", and you have 50 so far, then you need around the same number of larger squares.

That will get you to around a 60"x60" quilt top (probably a little smaller because your seam allowances are a bit larger).

How big did you want to make the quilt? As a throw? Or a bed quilt?
80x100?

Because that's a lot more fabric you'll need to finish the top.

ChristinaHall 05-15-2011 05:41 PM

I got all my cutting done!!! YEAH

I cut my large squares from the blue WV and the solid Navy. I have it all laid out on the floor for sewing in the morning. It looks really really good guys:-)

I am going to sew 4 blocks together to make a big block so I can move everything around easier to see if i want to lay it out a different way than I have it now.

I will see if I can get my phone to work long enough for some pictures. If not I will for sure post some in the AM.

P.S It was some of my seems that had me off so much:=(

As for the size it went from a full size to a queen, But they are going to get what I make! LOL

ChristinaHall 05-15-2011 06:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lets see if this picture will upload

MTS 05-15-2011 06:12 PM

It looks fabulous!!!!!!!

How many squares did you end up with in total?

Maybe it's because blue and yellow work so well together.

ChristinaHall 05-15-2011 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
It looks fabulous!!!!!!!

How many squares did you end up with in total?

Maybe it's because blue and yellow work so well together.

Yes Blue & Yellow work great together...Go Mountaineers:-)
I have 120 squares.

SueDor 05-16-2011 03:31 AM

Looks great!

Stitchnripper 05-16-2011 03:37 AM

It looks really fine!!!