Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   using wool batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-wool-batting-t169653.html)

jcrow 11-24-2011 11:11 PM

I only use wool batting. There is a big difference between wool and the others. Wool is thicker, but puffier. It definately keeps you warmer by a long shot. I wash mine in the washer and then just toss it in the dryer on normal heat. They all look great. Didn't shrink at all. I won't use anything buy the wool batting unless it's a wall hanging or table runner...then I use cotton batting.

QM 11-25-2011 12:04 AM

I have used Hobb's wool, which is very light weight, and Matilda's Own, which is much heavier, very warm and a dream to quilt. what I am using these days, however, is Thermore, a very easy to use dense, thin poly, and somewhat cheaper. I don't think Hobb's wool is any warmer than a good cotton poly blend. I have machine washed and dried my own Matilda's quilt on a delicate setting, which is what I generally use anyway.One of the people I gave a baby quilt to just washes it with the regular laundry.

BMP 11-25-2011 04:26 AM

I am going to use Wool Batting on the quilt I am now making for myself, just wondering what brand everyone seems to like the best. ??????

quiltinghere 11-25-2011 05:13 AM

such helpful information. Thanks quilters!

lfletcher 11-25-2011 05:25 AM

I used wool batting in my husband's lap quilt because he wanted it fluffy. It does normally have a higher loft than cotton. The quilt is also lighter. Some friends use it almost exclusively for show quilts as it doesn't have a memory so the fold lines never show once it is hung. I have been told that the wool is cooler in summer and warmer in winter.

QuiltnNan 11-25-2011 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 4716746)
It is definately warmer! Having worked with both and slept under both ... Its much warmer!

ditto .

Borntohandquilt 11-25-2011 06:27 AM

Just another thought: several quilters who do show quilts recommended wool battings to me because the quilts do not keep the fold marks from storing and shipping.

MaryKatherine 11-25-2011 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Barbshobbies (Post 4717228)
Wool is the warmest, but you must mark it some how, as time go by you may for get, or give it to some one that may
not know that you can not just wash it like other quilts.

I don't remember which brand I've used but it is washable and doesn't shrink. Look around.
MK

Hinterland 11-25-2011 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt (Post 4718333)
Just another thought: several quilters who do show quilts recommended wool battings to me because the quilts do not keep the fold marks from storing and shipping.

That's encouraging - I hate seeing fold marks on my quilts. I have a new quilt going in the frame this weekend, so I'll be trying wool for the first time.

Janet

Lady-T 11-25-2011 01:24 PM

Wool is definitely warmer!