Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: using wool batting

Blog Entries

Question using wool batting

I would like to know if using the wool batting any better than the warm and natural for the warmth??

Blog Entries
    I haven't used it for quilting, yet. Butt my wool socks keeps my toes warmer and drier than my cotton socks.
    The Quilting Bear

I don't know either, but a discussion on this has been on some other threads, maybe you could do a search and find out something that way.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

To me wool batting seems to be the warmest compared to cotton, poly, bamboo and cotton blends. It's wonderful to hand quilt and a little fluffy!

Just made a quilt for our bed with wool. Definitely warmer than using Warm and Natural!

Blog Entries
    Wool is warm on clothing. I have to wear it over something else because it's itchy to me. Hopefully the fabric you're using is 'good' fabric and not thin.

I wonder how you wash it? Wool garments shrink...is batting preshrunk?

I'm sure someone will have the answers
    https://napquilting.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/NAPQuilting/

My GOAL is to ALWAYS ENJOY EVERY STEP of the quilting process....

Quote Originally Posted by quiltinghere View Post
    I wonder how you wash it? Wool garments shrink...is batting preshrunk?

I'm sure someone will have the answers
    I have just checked that on the package of a Hobbs Wool Batting I am going to use for my next quilt. The wool is "chlorinated treated" to prevent shrinkage. It can be washed by hand or using the gentle cycle of a washer, like a cashmere sweater. Furthermore it is recommended to dry flat without using the dryer - although I have heard of several quilters that they use the dryer with very low heat.

I was just wondering about this too as the quilt we have on the sofa has cotton batting and isn't very warm at all so I will probably try wool next time.

Never have used wool batting. Is there any special care/concern about moths, or is this a non-issue because of it being encased between the top and the back?

Blog Entries
    I was wondering the exact same thing! Heaven forbid they attack so much work!

Off subject (sorry) but I love your avatar. Guess you can figure out why!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
    Never have used wool batting. Is there any special care/concern about moths, or is this a non-issue because of it being encased between the top and the back?

I machine quilted a quilt for my daughter who is stationed in South Dakota with a wool batt. It was the 1st time I had used one. I loved quilting thru it and it had a bit more loft than my usual Warm and white/natural. I had to warn her about washing instructions tho.
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

I was at a lecture about batting and the lady said it was fantastic stuff. and it was perfect for Childrens quilts. Wool doesn't burn like other batts. Wool will actually put itself out and not continue to burn...interesting isn't it?

It is definately warmer! Having worked with both and slept under both ... Its much warmer!

Blog Entries
    I had always used warm and natural and find it is not warm unless heavily quilted and then it is like a board until washed several times.. I started using 80/20 hobbs and liked it better...and used a piece of wool for a baby quilt...it was wonderful soft....but fluffier ..I quilted on my short arm...would use it again for baby quilts but prefer 80/20...I do know W/N is hard to hand quilt...finally learned that...I am sure it is preference....just try for yourself...Margo In Maine
    His love is deeper still, Margo in Maine

Blog Entries
    I LOVE THE WOOL BATTS!!! DREAM WOOL IS MY FAVORITE- hobbs is good too- they are lightweight- fluffy/lofty- quilt beautifully- are wonderful to work with= and are warm in the winter- cool in the summer- the quilt on my bed has a wool batt- i keep it on year around- when i wash the quilt it is so wonderfully fluffy/soft and snuggly-
    if i could afford it i would use wool batts for all of my quilts. the good thing about wool is--it breaths. and has great insulating properties.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Wool is the warmest, but you must mark it some how, as time go by you may for get, or give it to some one that may
    not know that you can not just wash it like other quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by newbee3 View Post
    I would like to know if using the wool batting any better than the warm and natural for the warmth??
    I pieced a king size quilt a few years ago & had my quilter use wool batting inside it. I love it! It seems to adjust to the room temperature on our bed. Just the right warmth even though the room might vary somewhat in temperature. I store it in a cedar chest wrapped in a cotton sheet during the summer. Also, I took it to a laundromat to wash it because their machines are larger than mine. I washed it in cool water with Woolite for dark colors & had no problem. I partially dried it in their dryer & brought it home to finish drying over a bed. Had no noticable shrinkage.
    BTY, did you know that bugs don't like whole cloves? I sprinkle the cloves in closets where wool clothes hang & have had no problem with moths. Also, to be safe, I sprinkle some of the cloves in the cedar chest. Again, no bugs
    MLOQuilts

I Love wool batting. I use it almost exclusively. I try to find it on sale. The first time I wash a quilt I do wash & dry in the machines, then I tell the recipient to wash it on delicate & hang to dry. It's warm in the winter & a little cooler in the summer. I love fluffy quilts & the wool makes 'em just right!
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Blog Entries
    I hand quilt and I love working with wool batts. It just quilts like butter and has better loft than cotton. It will also be warmer as the fibers trap air. It will wick moisture and retain up to 50% of it's weight without feeling wet. As for moths, the do not like plant fibers and will not be inclined to chew through in order to have a meal. The finishing processes tend to discourage felting and make a batt washable. When in doubt, quilt a sample and treat it roughly the wash to see what happens. It takes water, heat, and agitation to make felt so that is why it is recommended to dry flat. These conditions cause the scales on the fiber to interlock/ felt.

Blog Entries
    I have used wool batting and it is wonderful. Will use it in all of our quilts. Quilts beartifully.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I only use wool batting. There is a big difference between wool and the others. Wool is thicker, but puffier. It definately keeps you warmer by a long shot. I wash mine in the washer and then just toss it in the dryer on normal heat. They all look great. Didn't shrink at all. I won't use anything buy the wool batting unless it's a wall hanging or table runner...then I use cotton batting.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

QM
    I have used Hobb's wool, which is very light weight, and Matilda's Own, which is much heavier, very warm and a dream to quilt. what I am using these days, however, is Thermore, a very easy to use dense, thin poly, and somewhat cheaper. I don't think Hobb's wool is any warmer than a good cotton poly blend. I have machine washed and dried my own Matilda's quilt on a delicate setting, which is what I generally use anyway.One of the people I gave a baby quilt to just washes it with the regular laundry.

BMP
    Blog Entries
    I am going to use Wool Batting on the quilt I am now making for myself, just wondering what brand everyone seems to like the best. ??????

Blog Entries
    such helpful information. Thanks quilters!
    https://napquilting.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/NAPQuilting/

My GOAL is to ALWAYS ENJOY EVERY STEP of the quilting process....

I used wool batting in my husband's lap quilt because he wanted it fluffy. It does normally have a higher loft than cotton. The quilt is also lighter. Some friends use it almost exclusively for show quilts as it doesn't have a memory so the fold lines never show once it is hung. I have been told that the wool is cooler in summer and warmer in winter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast