Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Batting when using wool

Batting when using wool

While I was going through some fabric recently, I came across some pieces of wool which would make a beautiful quilt. Is there is a type of batting I should use that would handle the dry cleaning? Is Warm & Natural a good choice?

Wool quilts are washable, no need to dry clean them, just use cold water and air dry.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Wool fabrics are very prone to felting when washed. Alot depends on the fiber content and the twist of the fibers. Do test for washability as some wool's can take to a gentle cycle /cold wash.
    As for the batting warm and natural will hold up in the dry cleaning process, as will most battings. I don't know of any one that would not. But others may have a different experience.

Blog Entries
    it is never recommended to dry clean wool....the chemicals used for drycleaning would ruin the wool. wool quilts are washable.
    i use wool batting quite often --- it is my favorite batting for cotton or wool quilts. for my black (backyard gatherings) wool quilts i used Hobbs 80/20 Black batting. which worked very well too.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Power Poster
    Most wools will wash up well if handled carefully.

Sheep get wet when it rains.