Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First time using wool batting. Tips? >

First time using wool batting. Tips?

First time using wool batting. Tips?

Old 08-22-2014, 03:49 AM

Default First time using wool batting. Tips?

I'm making a crib sized quilt for a baby who lives far up north in the cold. It will probably be used more for wrapping for walks and car rides than the crib, but the mother requested wool batting. I've never worked with it before.

Are there any tips or things I need to be concerned about? Does my stitch need to be longer? The batting looks much puffier than the 80/20 I usually use. I'm not a fan of stippling, so I'm thinking of a cross hatch or wavy lines. Any suggestions would be very welcome. As always, thank you!
Old 08-22-2014, 04:01 AM

I wouldn't use wool for a baby, you can't put it in the dryer, this is the voice of experience
Old 08-22-2014, 04:42 AM

Wool batted quilts can be machine washed in cold water and machine dried on a cool or air setting (or just dried in open air if preferred), with no shrinkage (that's MY experience). They are not high maintenance quilts, just different than cotton or blends.

I'd have no hesitation at all in using wool for a baby quilt, especially if that's what the mother requested, and it'd be ideal for walks and car rides. Wool is a dream to work with by hand or machine, very easy to get hooked on using it.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:00 AM

I love love love using wool batting..It is so warm, drapes so well and is like quilting thru soft butter! However, my experience has shown that different manufacturers have very different washing, quilting and handling requirements.........Look for wool bat that can be machine washed and machine dried on a low setting with little shrinkage...If this is for a baby and they live where it is COLD, she certainly is not going to hang this on a clothes line to dry!Have fun with it.............
Old 08-22-2014, 05:54 AM

The batting is supposed to be machine wash and dry. Though I will tell mom to do it on cold and air fluff. Any suggestions on stitching? Should I change my stitch setting? Can I baste with glue or should I hand baste?
Old 08-22-2014, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

Without seeing the pattern you are going to be making, it is hard to give a quilting opinion but I always love cross hatching rather then stippling.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

I Love, love, love using wool battings! The quilt on my bed has wool batting, has been laundered numerous times. I toss it in the washer, regular cycle, warm water, I toss it in the dryer regular cycle/setting...It comes out soft, fluffy & wonderful. There is no reason to not use it for a baby quilt. The (2) wool battings I use which do not shrink, are washable, hold up to lots of use and are a joy to work with are the Hobbs wool batt and Dream Wool from the dream company. I recommend them to everyone and use them often
Old 08-22-2014, 11:49 AM
Power Poster

I also have laundered quilts with wool batting & stuck them in the dryer, no problems. I don't treat it any differently than warm & Natural cotton when quilting.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:29 PM

It quilts like a dream--no downside except that some people are allergic to wool. I like the Hobb' s brand.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
The (2) wool battings I use which do not shrink, are washable, hold up to lots of use and are a joy to work with are the Hobbs wool batt and Dream Wool from the dream company. I recommend them to everyone and use them often
Quilter's Dream calls their wool batting Dream Wool. I am wondering if this is the same batting and company you are referring to.