Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First time using wool batting. Tips? >

First time using wool batting. Tips?

First time using wool batting. Tips?

Old 08-23-2014, 04:53 AM

Thank you all for your help! It sounds as though there are no particular changes when working with wool batting, and I'm excited to get started on it!
Old 08-24-2014, 04:07 AM

I really like to use wool batting because it quilts so beautifully and always looks nice. I wash the quilts in cool water. i prefer to dry quilts flat. I use a painter's drop cloth (plastic sheet) and lay them out on the floor until dry. However, because a baby quilt is small I think the dryer on cool is OK.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:11 AM

Read the label of the brand you buy and follow directions for washing and drying.R
Old 08-24-2014, 08:58 AM

WELL you will be surprised I only used it once and would use it all the time if I could afford it. I loved it I think the wool batting for the quilt you described the use for would be great.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:35 PM

I too am using wool batting for the first time, Quilters Dream Wool. Here's what I've learned so far:

1. I can baste using 505 spray just as I do for cotton
2. Quilting by machine seems to be just like quilting through cotton.
3. To maximize warmth I am using an open quilting pattern so the wool retains as much fluffiness as possible. Of course you must quilt as closely as the batting package requires.
4. When they say don't iron it, they mean it. I ironed a small test sandwich just to see what would happen. The batting flattened out to the width of a piece of card stock. I guess this means that when I attach the binding I won't be able to iron it to the back but will have to finger press.

The experiment I have not yet run is to see if I can steam off my chalk markings by holding the iron above the quilt without any pressing or if I will need to wait to wash them out.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:17 PM

Ive used the wool batting carried by Connecting Thread and have no problem with wash/dry. I commonly use moderate temps for all my quilts, no matter what kind of batting I use. It is a little puffier, and because of that, I also do not like stippling on those quilts, but love straight lines.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:28 PM

I have made several baby quilts using wool batting. It is the nicest batting I've ever worked with. The quilts have been laundered in a regular washer and dryer cycle, and they are just fine.