Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
using wool batting >

using wool batting

using wool batting

Old 11-25-2011, 03:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BMP View Post
I am going to use Wool Batting on the quilt I am now making for myself, just wondering what brand everyone seems to like the best. ??????
Most people like either Hobbs brand or Quilter's Dream brand for wool. I would not use an off-brand for wool batting after reading a few horror stories here. It can smell pretty bad when wet, some are not stabilized (and therefore need to be encased in cheesecloth, the old-fashioned method for stabilizing wool so it doesn't beard), and some need much closer quilting (otherwise they can shrink and distort the quilt, although re-wetting and quilting some more usually fixes that problem).
Old 11-25-2011, 06:39 PM

I use Hobbs or the wonderful wool batting sold by the yard at Handcock Fabrics. The wool sold at Handcock Fabrics is nicer than Hobbs (& more expencive.) They both need to be quilted within 3 1/2 inches. I still love wool.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:40 PM

thanks for all your input sounds like I should try the dream wool will let you know when it is done will post a picture.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:16 PM

I'm looking forward to it!
Old 12-05-2011, 02:53 AM
Power Poster

the quilt on my bed (for 4 years now) has Dream Wool batting in it- i toss that quilt in the washer- regular cycle- warm water- and i toss it into the dryer- probably close to monthly---it still is beautiful- it still drapes beautifully- it comes out of the dryer oh so soft/fluffy/ huggable! i love that quilt-
if you read the packaging you will find it is totally washable---i don't understand why you would be afraid to wash your wool batted quilt- unless the packaging says it should not be- it does not shrink as much as warm & natural-it is the best quilt i've ever made- because of that wool batting...i've also used hobbs wool batting- the package said it's wash/dryable too...with 3-5% shrinkage (same as warm & natural)it was for someone else- but it's been a couple years and i've never heard that it's not holding up well.
my quilt is sooo lofty, soft and cozy when it comes out of the dryer---i just love it!