Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using your wedding gown as fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-your-wedding-gown-fabric-t101759.html)

cafegold2 02-22-2011 08:12 PM

Mine was made into two Mass Vestments. One for the Missions,one for the family. I made a Christening bonnet out of the bodice.

JudithAnn 02-22-2011 09:12 PM

I made a christening gown out of mine and it looks lovely.

DA Mayer 02-22-2011 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Gabbystabber
These are photos of crazy quilts made from wedding gowns. I took them at Houston International Quilt show 2009. Sorry the colors are not true. They were shades of white.
Donna

Everyone's pictures are so beautiful, but I think yours are the most creative. Wish I could see them all in person.

DA Mayer 02-22-2011 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Shirley Anne
I have made a many Christing dress and romper sets. Just depends on how old the child is. There is lots of patterns
out there to do this with but the pretty inlaids of the dress should be put on the back of the coat and some on front of the coats if there is lots to use. Just completely dismantle the dress and use the underslip to line with. There isn't much material in the new stapless type but enough for the dress and botties. I alway include a register book so there is a record of the babies thet used the dress or rompers and stays with the outfits. I have had some dresses with enough material to make a girls
Have you made them for family or for other people? I love the idea of the book to go with the clothes
and a boys outfit from. Not any more. Dresses went a fabric diet. Shirley Anne

jpthequilter 02-22-2011 09:43 PM

Somewhere, besides Houston, I saw an incredibly beautiful all white largish crazy quilt made of satin, velvet and silk, decorated with all kinds of white lace, sparkling stones, pearls, beads, embroidery, and lots and lots of eveything else...
It is time for something new....sooooo
One could start with resale wedding dresses and lace veils?
Even combining a white satin dress with pastels, think brides maid dresses, would make a beautiful quilt - think outside of the box and use traditional quilt patterns.

Gabbystabber 02-23-2011 04:41 AM

The quilts were amazing. There is an organization that will send you used gowns to make a quilt. Here is a little info .
The “Making Memories Breast Cancer Foundation” offers many
opportunities to participate in fund raising programs. “Quilters Against
Breast Cancer” provided these ladies with the opportunity to do
something they love – quilt! - which results in a stunning quilt creation
that was returned to Making Memories to be sold/raffled to raise funds to
help grant a final wish for a terminal breast cancer patient. If memory does not fail me the quilts at Houston were made for this organization. I love quilters. We are such a giving group of folks.
Donna

som 02-23-2011 05:20 AM

my nieces husband passed,but they had a son, after a while ,she remarried ,she gave me the dress to do whatever i wanted to do with it was pretty dirty ,a few other people had used it . i put it in the washer and dryer it turned out just like new her son is only 16 ,but i made a christning blanket to give him someday . and i have enough left to make a dress i already gave it to her so i cant post pictures,

ronnie17 02-23-2011 09:59 AM

I;'d love to see a photo of this baby quilt. Sounds intriguing

FranCFries 02-23-2011 11:17 AM

Crazy quilt. You can use prom dresses, etc. When I made mine, I used all the "YOU CAN ALWAYS WARE IT AGAIN" dresses I had and from some close friends too. Made 4 all using the same fabrics, but all turned out different. And then I put different backings on each one. You can use lace, trim, buttons, etc. from your dress (or dresses). They look great and you enjoy them more and more over time. Good luck and happy sewing :lol:

auntdeb 02-23-2011 11:52 AM

Yes. I donated my gown to the local high school for their theatre program and cut up the train to put in a victorian crazy quilt. It turned out pretty good - but not my style now.