Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using your wedding gown as fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-your-wedding-gown-fabric-t101759.html)

jitkaau 02-22-2011 04:15 PM

Not my wedding gown, but that of others. European relatives who migrated here, made wedding gowns from silk parachutes that were discarded in fields etc. during the WWII. Many years later, I was given them to pull apart and make into christening gowns and underwear. The silk was very good quality.

char in MI 02-22-2011 04:20 PM

I made a christening gown for my first grandson (now 15) and six of my ten grandchildren wore it. I made ribbons detachable bows so it wouln't be as fou fou for the boys. It took almost all the skirt of my gown with the lace embellishments as the christening gown was quite long. All I had left was the bodice and covered buttons. It will be handed down to the next generation so very worthwhile project.

Chrys 02-22-2011 04:24 PM

I'm making mine into a crazy wall hanging, and keeping the rest of it for my boys future weddings to make ring bearer pillows. :)

quiltgal6 02-22-2011 04:45 PM

www.patchworkbear.com

She makes quilts and teddy bears out of wedding gowns.

Rann 02-22-2011 04:54 PM

I was going to make christening dresses out of mine for my daughters but my mother had a fit. The dress is still in the same box 46 years later and the only time it has been out was for a "womanless wedding" pic for the paper/

Margie 02-22-2011 05:04 PM

I think making them into Christening gowns is wonderful idea...also as accesories for weddings. Mine was ruined with rust spots by the holy water "sprinkler" :(

Nanjun 02-22-2011 05:05 PM

Grand daughter had someone make a baby quilt form hers.

tinkerbellhook 02-22-2011 05:07 PM

I used my weddidng gown to make teddy bears for my kids and grandkids and grgrandkids. Girls got lacy bears and boys got bears with a cumberband and bow tie of lace and satin. My dil had worn the dress and no one else was interested in it. I did not want to see it sit in the box and came up with the idea of the teddy bears. I made one set for me and all loved them and I hope will cherish them. Have more lace and may make a ring bearer pillow and some sachets.

Gelswood 02-22-2011 05:08 PM

My great grandmother made a christening dress out of her wedding dress. It was long and hung almost to the floor. I used it for my daughter. It was very fragile but was such a special thing. I have thought of making one out of my dress but am not sure the grandkids would want to use it anyway.

tinkerbellhook 02-22-2011 05:11 PM

I used my weddidng gown to make teddy bears for my kids and grandkids and grgrandkids. Girls got lacy bears and boys got bears with a cumberband and bow tie of lace and satin. My dil had worn the dress and no one else was interested in it. I did not want to see it sit in the box and came up with the idea of the teddy bears. I made one set for me and all loved them and I hope will cherish them. Have more lace and may make a ring bearer pillow and some sachets.