Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using your wedding gown as fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-your-wedding-gown-fabric-t101759.html)

ladybuggsie 02-22-2011 10:41 AM

Don't be too fast to cut up your wedding gown ladies. Our daughter in law wore mine.We beaded it for her to add flair and she was beautiful. It was really fantastic to see my gown coming down the aisle . She is saving it in case her daughter wants to wear it. Wouldn't it be something if I could see it again?

stoppain 02-22-2011 01:36 PM

oh!!! I could never to that

ray tech 02-22-2011 02:04 PM

I made christening gowns and hats for my triplet granddaughters using the fabric from my wedding gown. They were adorable.

luvspaper 02-22-2011 02:16 PM

I am just starting on one for my sister. Definitely using the train down the middle...trying to decide on what to do on the rest and vascillating between applique and patchwork.....but in sage greens on a cream background.....

Still trying to work up my courage...and have three other quilts to finish first!

GramaLaura 02-22-2011 03:13 PM

Christening gown and blanket makes for double the memory.

hockeymom 02-22-2011 03:25 PM

I took my mother's wedding dress and covered 4 scrapbooks with it and put copies of my parents wedding pictures inside.

Quilt-Writer 02-22-2011 03:37 PM

We renewed our vows on our 25th anniversary. A friend took the long sleeves from my gown and used them to add a V to the side of my dress where I'd gained a few pounds. No one had a clue it was remade. My new sleeveless dress was gorgeous.
I should do something with it now since I'll probably never wear it again. Grand kids are too old to use it as quilts etc. There are some lovely pieces here with some great ideas.

Anna.425 02-22-2011 03:40 PM

If you ever watch Say Yes to the Dress the dresses are so expensive that I just can't imagine cutting it up for any reason. I made my wedding dress. It has a very wide lace dress bottom (with matching cuffs)made of handmade lace that was made by my great grandmother. The fabric is nothing special, a light gauze, and too light for a quilt. It would make a nice christening gown though. I also had two lace appliques that were on my mother's and grandmother's wedding dresses.

Tussymussy 02-22-2011 03:43 PM

Yep. I got married 3 years ago in beautiful red brocade with gold godets in the skirt, at Christmas.

I have lost weight since and will never fit into that dress again and as the waistline dipped from the waist on one side to the hip on the other it was going to be a nightmare to try and alter it, I have cut it up (it is silk!) and am using it in a silk quilt that I am making. It will be a wonderful keepsake of an extremely happy day.

bkaren6020 02-22-2011 04:06 PM

I am buying wedding dresses, I use the fabric and lace for a lot of different things. I don't pay much, but it's something.