Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using your wedding gown as fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-your-wedding-gown-fabric-t101759.html)

psquared52 02-22-2011 06:55 AM

My daughter's dress was made for her out of raw silk from Thailand. When I first started quilting 3 yrs. ago, I deconstructed her dress and cut it into squares. And that is as far as I've gotten to date, unfortunately. I have been a bit paralyzed about actually starting to work on it. Meanwhile my quilting skills have improved dramatically. Thanks for this post as I think it is the kick in the pants I needed to get started again. She is expecting her first baby in July and will be expecting all the typical things...quilt, burp cloths, bibs...but she won't expect her wedding dress quilt. It is just too perfect! Love this board immensely. Thanks to everyone who posts questions, links and pictures as well as those who respond. Very inspirational!!

damaquilts 02-22-2011 07:41 AM

I still have some of the satin from Cathy's dress. I am thinking about making ring pillow covers from them. And maybe a bed pillow for her.

DA Mayer 02-22-2011 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by masser777
My sister and I made a bassinett cover and christening outfits first for our niece and then for her sister-in-law out of their wedding dresses. One was a christening dress and the other was a little boy suit. Both had the little bonnets to go with them.

Those are adorable, wouldn't it be nice if all aunts were as great as you are?

Deddier 02-22-2011 08:32 AM

If anyone is at all interested in experimenting, thrift stores have many wedding dresses donated to them at a very reasonable cost.

lbaillie 02-22-2011 08:57 AM

Long story short, I combined 2 used dresses and made one dress for our daughters wedding. I then took the left overs and made her wedding quilt out of the left overs. I tore off the lace and the beading and used it in the blocks. I embroidered there names, hearts, wedding rings just all kinds of things. I then took one of the bridesmaid sashes from there dress and used it as the binding. It turned out beautiful, they were so pleased! Wish I had a picture to share!

JudyM 02-22-2011 09:14 AM

I made a First Communion dress for my granddaughter out of her mother's wedding dress. Turned out beautiful and she loved it.

gramquilter2 02-22-2011 09:58 AM

My mother and her 2 friends made a whole cloth hand-quilted baby quilt out of my wedding dress when I became pregnant the first time. It turned out to be a beautiful quilt very slippery to use but is now a beautiful wall hanging in our daughters home. It was a wonderful gift out of something I would never use again.

lbc 02-22-2011 10:08 AM

I went to the outdoor quilt store in Sisters, Oregon a couple of years ago and one of the stores had a display of about 8 quilts that were made from wedding gowns. They were absolutely beautiful.

lbc 02-22-2011 10:10 AM

The garments that members are showing are absolutely beautiful. The workmanship is superb.

Ramona Byrd 02-22-2011 10:33 AM

I had a friend in NM many years ago who had torn her dress accidently, so cut it up and made fancy "Church going" quilts for her twin girls. She wrapped the babies in their lovely quilts and used them for just for when they were little, took lots of pictures,
then put them up for any future Grand kids.