Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Vent: Joann's Store (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/vent-joanns-store-t49485.html)

majormom 06-14-2010 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by bob1414
Please save yourself the stress and do not ever go in there again - it is SO not worth it!!

I so agree! I won't put up with stress caused by ignorant, inefficient and rude salespersons - in spite of a sale.

Ramona Byrd 06-14-2010 03:50 PM

My own JoAnn's is confusing. Sometimes the clerks are nice and
helpful, sometimes they don't know squat, and most of the time
they are different each time I go there.

One young lady I'll always remember...I asked her where they kept
the velvets..she had absolutely no idea of what velvet was. so one
other older lady and I tried to describe it. She said her Mother had
a dress kinda like that, but she didn't think JoAnn's carried "that sort
of stuff".

One young lady (never saw her again) helped me a lot. I had just
got a Brother machine that used different bobbins that would not
work in any other one, so I was trying to find some. She didn't know
either, so used her own cell phone to go online and check out the
Brother site. After asking me the number on it, she found the type
I needed and they had it in stock. She sold me a lot of them, and
I wrote out a letter of complements for that nice girl. Sure hope that
she got a raise or something for her kindness, it is rare to see one
like that.

Alu_Rathbone 06-14-2010 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
My own JoAnn's is confusing. Sometimes the clerks are nice and
helpful, sometimes they don't know squat, and most of the time
they are different each time I go there.

One young lady I'll always remember...I asked her where they kept
the velvets..she had absolutely no idea of what velvet was. so one
other older lady and I tried to describe it. She said her Mother had
a dress kinda like that, but she didn't think JoAnn's carried "that sort
of stuff".

One young lady (never saw her again) helped me a lot. I had just
got a Brother machine that used different bobbins that would not
work in any other one, so I was trying to find some. She didn't know
either, so used her own cell phone to go online and check out the
Brother site. After asking me the number on it, she found the type
I needed and they had it in stock. She sold me a lot of them, and
I wrote out a letter of complements for that nice girl. Sure hope that
she got a raise or something for her kindness, it is rare to see one
like that.

Your lucky that your joanns carries brother! Mine does not! I have to go to a special store for sewing machines to get my bobbins!

butterflywing 06-14-2010 03:59 PM

it sounds like you go to mine, except in yours they speak to you. in mine, they say they don't have a bathroom. not that they don't have a public one, but that they don't have one even for employees. they sent me to the bar at the other end of the strip mall. in mine the same dirt has been on the floor for 30 years and it's not likely to get swept anytime soon. and they're so dumb that they sell the same templates in the larger size for less money than the smaller size. even when you tell them, they say they can't change it. i use my coupons on notions and buy fabric anyplace else. this week i'll buy webbing in bright colors and plastic snap closures to go around our luggage for identification at the $%#@&^*
airport using my 50% coupons. they're online this week.

lynn_z 06-14-2010 04:01 PM

Fabric Depot is the greatest...30% off all mail order...huge store.
http://www.fabricdepot.com/

Woodster 06-14-2010 04:11 PM

Write a letter to Corporate. They might not know what goes on in their stores.

JackieG 06-14-2010 04:19 PM

Call corporate offices to complain. Sorry about your bad experience, but not all of them do that. My local J/A is very accommodating when it comes to returns, the price on the bolt is the price you pay. The corporate office keeps raising its prices on fabric and sometimes the stores can't keep up. Speaking from experience, the employees won't change their bad behavior unless corporate gets involved.

cinjosie 06-14-2010 04:29 PM

As with any store you have good and bad employees -- some interested in being helpful and some could care less! As a JoAnn's employee, I can tell you that they do hire most anyone and the pay isn't much incentive to the "Fabulous Customer Service" that they preach to us day after day. However, staffing is decided by sales - the lower the sales of the past week, the fewer staff present --- and customer service suffers because we simply can't spread ourselves that thin! Some of us LOVE our job and customers and will do most anything to be helpful and pleasant - and most of us in my store KNOW the store and all about sewing. Unfortunately, there is no formal training, no training hours for a new employee who doesn't know velvet from burlap! They learn "on the job" from the other employees!

As far as prices on bolts being lower than they actually ring up, that seldom happens unless there has been a price increase that went unnoticed --- and when that happens and we see it or the customer points it out to us, we ALWAYS adjust to the lower price.

The new registers in most stores take the coupon discount off the highest price item bought that isn't on sale. If there are older registers still out there, the coupon must immediately follow the item it is being used for -- or as some have suggested they do, do the coupon sale on a seperate order.

In conclusion ---- CONTINUE TO REGISTER YOUR PROBLEMS WITH CORPORATE JO ANN'S -- they may have the huge business but it can't last long with so much dissatisfaction!

Tinabodina 06-14-2010 04:33 PM

Well said! If you don't let the head office know, nothing will change. Me, I have never had a bad experience at JoAnn's :-)

gramquilter2 06-14-2010 04:35 PM

Sorry to hear about your experience at JoAnn's, I am beginning to believe that service people think they are doing you a big favor by waiting on you. I have started telling those I think are worthless that it is time they found another job, and the clerks/servers that are doing a good job I also tell them they are the best clerk/waitress etc.... We shouldn't have to put up with someones bad service.