Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Vent: Joann's Store (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/vent-joanns-store-t49485.html)

Crafty1 06-13-2010 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by julia58
You must be one patient lady, it took 2 years? I will not shop somewhere that gives poor service, I don't care if I have to drive 40 or 50 miles. Strokes run in my family, it is not worth getting so upset. Hope you feel better, throw something.

I'm calm now so I'm laughing!!! :lol: I know, I can't believe myself, why the heck did I stay that long! My family just shakes their heads. I've been in denial and just now woke up and smelled the coffee!

dkabasketlady 06-13-2010 04:20 PM

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience at your JoAnn's. I've had bad ones too at our JoAnn's & swore I'd never go again, but I give in and go again later on. I try not to judge my past experiences on my future ones. I'll continue to give them my business, but I also have a Hancock's & several LSQ's to choose from too.

Bernice H in Calif 06-13-2010 04:43 PM

I know the feeling. I have also left Jo'Anns in the same mood. The quality of their workers sometimes leave a lot to be desired. Take a deep breath and remember there are all types of alternates for them that we can use 95% of the tme.

luv-e 06-13-2010 04:46 PM

Do the women that are hired there not realize what the duties of their job are???????????????? They take the job waaaaay to personal.
I'm glad you feel better now and have laughed. I can't remember who said it but I would write them about your experiences.

cwessel47 06-13-2010 05:07 PM

My Joann's is almost my only choice for fabric. I've been going there for 20 years or so and I am known by those who have been there forever. There are never enough cutters or cashiers - I'm exaggerating.... Suffice to say - You know when there is a REALLY good sale going on. They got a ticket machine - finally - like going to the deli. That has helped. Their computers/registers always use the coupons in the most cost-savings way. My peeve is when EVERYTHING! is on sale and I can't use my coupons. I don't want no nasty fake flowers, thank you. They even started giving 10% off magazines (which, I admit, used to be my ploy). And yet, when the choices of vendors are slim - You're gonna find me at Joann's. And I usually do save more than I spend. Do check your receipt.

Kas 06-13-2010 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by tortoisethreads
I hear ya on that one. I like to use those 40% off coupons on lots of yrds of solids. I always tell them tho use it on that- what do they do? They use the coupon for my kid's packs of gum! I'm kind of an ebay girl now!

At least at our store the computer is set to take the coupon off the most expensive item that isn't already on sale. But those "extra 10% off your total purchase" only take it off the non sale or coupon items, not the total purchase as they advertise. That ticks me off. Don't call it that if you aren't going to do it.

Nettie 06-13-2010 05:16 PM

I have to say I agree with your troubles at Joann's.
My sister and I both had mistakes on our receipt after a recent visit there, and I hate the way they stretch the fabric when measuring it. I usually have to buy and extra 1/8 of a yard so I make sure I have enough. I would rather shop at the quilt store but she closes at 4:30 and unless I can get out of work early I can never get there in time.

Nettie

pab58 06-13-2010 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by DebraK
Having worked at a JA before, I still don't understand why it is anymore difficult to cut one person's many choices, than many people's one choice. You are doing the same thing over and over for your shift anyway.

I loved helping the quilters because their fabric was easier to cut, rather than some of the kooky novelty fabrics. Faux fur is the the devil ;-)

I managed a Minnesota Fabrics (remember them??!!) many years ago. We loved helping our customers! We really established a good relationship with them. That isn't to say we always had wonderful customers as we had our share of stinkers, but a little sugar goes a long way in changing someone's attitude! I, too liked cutting the "normal" fabrics best. I really didn't like cutting the fur and the silky, slippery fabric. We also had to cut foam -- YUCK!!! That was a pain in the patootie!! :wink: :lol: But you simply did your job and made the best of any situation. It is really sad how poor the customer service has become -- not only in some fabric stores, but everywhere!! I really miss the old days of the customer coming first!! :cry:

sueisallaboutquilts 06-13-2010 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
I do like that JoAnns gives a NICE teacher discount. I think that if they didn't do that, I probably would not purchase fabric there. However, I do like their sales and rarely shop there unless I know what I want is on sale.

On a different note, MANAGERS make all the difference. I was treated SO rudely on the phone by the manager once that I called corporate. She had so many complaints that they let her go, so she decided she would start a campaign to get rid of the new manager (because she thought he put people up to getting rid of her!) We (as in all my friends that shop there) LOVE the new manager. He has had his share of issues because some people cannot separate his being gay from how great a job he does. However, he is an absolute RIOT and I love going in when he works because I know I am in for a laugh or two. He also has been very good at rectifying issues with prices/receipt concerns. I told him I wanted to call corporate and tell them what a great job he was doing, but he was afraid that they might think he put me up to it because of what the previous manager did to try to get him fired. I really feel for the pressure the managers are under to please the customers and corporate. (As in RARELY getting a full yard of material when they cut! I usually come home with 35" instead of 36" and it is rarely cut straight so I lose another inch squaring it up.)

It's pathetic that people are uncomfortable with a fabulous manager who happens to be gay. Too bad they can't go to the stores where service is awful. That's what people like that deserve. :thumbdown:

Judie 06-13-2010 06:22 PM

I used to work at Clothworld.. they were bought by JA and I continued to work there.. for a time, a long time actually.

One of the things no one has yet mentioned is the fact that JA is not really a fabric store.. They are JoAnn's fabric and crafts. I really think it should be something more like JA's fabric and CRAFTS. and not good crafts at that.. I call it Craft C***P.. but that is just my opinion.

Once JA took over Clothworld, every new season the fabric that came in was of a lesser quality. I was primarily a garment maker. I finally quit trying to sew nicer clothes because you cannot find a good match for anything.. You may find bottom weight for a pair of slacks.. but then try to find a nice piece that matches for a blouse.. can't do it. I finally quit working there a few years ago now when I finally realized I could hardly even use my coupon because they seemed to have anything I'd want on sale.. I do go in for backing fabric now and then, if I can use my coupon. The trouble I have there is that 8 yards is all that comes on a full both, sometimes I need more.

There is no requirement for a sales person (or a manager for that matter) to know how to read a pattern or even what different fabrics are.. None that I know of here have sewn anything since they took their 6 week sewing requirement in Jr. High School.

They pay the very least they can and they get the associates they pay for. (as far as the gal on her break.. She couldn't go back in and help you.. against the rules..) Sorry folks.. it's very sad.

I guess it is what it is.. and sadly will probably get worse, I don't think they care that much at corporate. They are one of the biggest fabric and craft chains in the U.S. and I guess they don't have to care about quilters.